"Star Trek" The Original Series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dang Trekkies! I missed the original series with shatner but I saw the voyager with the women captain, and enterprise with john archer.. The movie was great too!

I remeber it was the one night I could stay up late tv, and very cutting edge for it's days in dealing with current issues. Harry Mud was one of my favorite charactor.

Thanks for the link wheels!

My wife and I were dating when the origional show was on.When it moved to Friday night we didn't go out on Fridays.All our freinds thought we were nuts. Do you remember John Colocos "it would have been glorious" ?
Ed

I like them all too
I got a bit tired of 'meeting the relatives' on ST:TNG and some of the episodes on ST: DS9 were just plain humdrum - the Dominion Wars perked that up a bit. Prior to that it ran the risk of becoming a soap in space.

Ironically, some of the storylines for ST:ENT were the best of the lot.

The problem with the Star Trek universe is that the timeline was riddled with contradictions, too much backing and forthing and trying to remember (or possibly, not) to fit it in to the sequence; they should have done the Enterprise B, then C, then D. Of course, in that case, they should have done ST:ENT before ST:TOS.

Other things, minor but noticeable if you're paying attention, Deanna declaring a society 'primitive, they still pair-bond in lifelong marriages' then a couple of episodes later Jean-Luc meeting an old friend, a Federation scientist who was 'on his third marriage'... Oh?

In a utopia devoid of capital, it always made me wonder what Starfleet personnel were using to pay for drinks at Quark's bar and what exactly was meant by a 'captain's salary'?

Enjoyable and I miss it but I think it came to the end of the line because it wasn't thought through thoroughly enough and it lacked rawness. I haven't seen any of the latest Battlestar Galactica but I hear it set the new standard for sci-fi.

thought through thoroughly? - any non-English speakers having trouble with that? :)

I was almost not going to see the new Star Trek movie because I have been a bit of a purist with Star Trek. It took me quite a while to get used to Picard as a Captain. I did watch a bit of DS9, but got a little bored with it. Janeway's character on Voyager annoyed me. She always seemed to have the answer, like a know it all.

But when I saw the Star Trek Movie that recently came out, I was very pleased. They did a fabulous job with it, keeping it just campy enough to match the original series, but still fresh and interesting. I love how they opened it up for a whole new series, or series of movies.

Nice find Wheels!

Love the original series, and the 2009 movie.

Don't care much for the rest of the ST shows/movies.

TO

I always watched TNG growing up, and the originals when they were on, mostly because that was the only "allowed" SciFi on TV. The original series had some great storylines, but I found the sets to be rather cheap (I am able to look over that now, knowing it was top-of-the-line for its time). I found Pickard to be rather wussy as a captain, always wanting to make friends with the mean nasty aliens shooting at him and killing his crewmembers (darn jinxed red shirts!!!). Didn't really get into the other spin-offs, either. I was rather burned out on Trek at that time (of course, this happens quickly, when your first name is "James" and your parents liked "Kirk" for a middle name....seriously....and they're not even Trekkies!). The movie was good, though. Except for the part where Starfleet, in all its collective wisdom, decides to promote a 2nd-year academy student to full Captain of a Starship. That's alot of training to skip. Other than that little unbelievable bit, the rest of the movie was excellent!

I love how they opened it up for a whole new series, or series of movies.

I believe the movie was a prequel to the original series, and it didnt suck as bad as starwars episode 1,2, and 3 (regarding prequels). I do hope they make more movies with it though, I think it re-introduced a lot of people to the fading star trek era. Loved seeing old spock in it! :)

Harry Mud was one of my favorite charactor.
Great character, played to the hilt by Roger C. Carmel. :thumbright:

You're not, although I prefer ST: TNG, ST: VOY and ST: DS 5. ;)

I liked TNG too BB.
I didn't watch it until the second season because I was still pi**ed that they didn't use the original cast.
The Data character hooked me in to watching. :)

My wife and I were dating when the origional show was on.When it moved to Friday night we didn't go out on Fridays.All our freinds thought we were nuts. Do you remember John Colocos "it would have been glorious" ?
Ed
CBS Star Trek TV Show | Star Trek Episodes | Veoh "Errand of Mercy" anyone ?
Great episode but it did affect the future storylines quite a bit.
It kept it from becoming a space war series according to Gene Roddenberry.

Other things, minor but noticeable if you're paying attention, Deanna declaring a society 'primitive, they still pair-bond in lifelong marriages' then a couple of episodes later Jean-Luc meeting an old friend, a Federation scientist who was 'on his third marriage'... Oh?

I haven't seen any of the latest Battlestar Galactica but I hear it set the new standard for sci-fi.
I wasn't really listening to anything her character said... ;)
I haven't seen the new Battlestar Galactica either but I have also heard that it is very good.

I was almost not going to see the new Star Trek movie because I have been a bit of a purist with Star Trek. It took me quite a while to get used to Picard as a Captain.
I haven't seen it yet but I keep hearing good thing about it.
After Kirk I agree it took a while to get used to Picard's cerebral captaining.
Not sure how you felt about the Guinan character that Whoopi played but I felt it fit into the show nicely.

The original series had some great storylines, but I found the sets to be rather cheap (I am able to look over that now, knowing it was top-of-the-line for its time).
(darn jinxed red shirts!!!).
(of course, this happens quickly, when your first name is "James" and your parents liked "Kirk" for a middle name....seriously....and they're not even Trekkies!).
It made more sense to me after reading Shatner's book and him describing the how the crew would go through the dumpsters looking for odd things to use as part of the set.
It was also filmed at Desilu studios which was on its final leg. It was where "I love Lucy" had been filmed.
Desilu-Desi Arnaz Lucille Ball, if you know their history you'll know why the studio was in decline.

All the episodes are on CBS.com too.
Star Trek: Watch Full Episodes - CBS.com

Wheels

I have watched all of the series at some point (my mother is a big fan), and I thought TOS was great - the issues it dealt with and the way it dealt with them was, and still is, brilliant. TNG was OK - although it did veer towards the boring sometimes. I thought Patrick Stewart was a great actor as Picard, but always seemed a fish out of water - Star Trek is a long way from Shakespeare.

The original movies never did much for me - although Wrath of Khan was very good. The new movie blew me away. DS9, Voyager and ENT had made the franchise stale, and although I cannot stand JJ Abrams as a director, he has breathed new life into the concept and opened up a new plot line which will hopefully lead to some quality new spin-offs.

It still ain't Babylon 5 though :lol:8)

I was really looking foreward to Enterprise being a long running series like TNG and Voyager, but it just didn't happen.

It was cool how Enterprise showed how alot of the Star Trek technology came into being, like the Phase-Cannon and the Holodeck...even the episode where Topol sold the guy the Velcro technology was cool. And the Orions were much better looking in Enterprise than they were in Star Trek :lol:

The one thing that did piss me off, was the episode where the altered timeline showed WWII Germans in control of the eastern states of the U.S. and when they showed up over New York, Stukas attacked the ship??? I mean, if the war had advanced that far, and knowing that the Germans were progressing with thier aircraft as they were, wouldn't you think that instead of Stukas, they would have had Ho229s, Me1101s, He1078s or at least Me262s and/or He162s?

Most likely would have, but the Stuka is one of those planes, like the P51 and F4U, that EVERYONE can recognize. Even those who aren't big history buffs could look at a Stuka and know that it shouldn't be buzzing around New York.

I am not a trekie but I love the movies and I really enjoy Deep Space 9. I own all the of the seasons on DVD and me and my wife go through phases where we watch them all over again.

Babylon 5, now there is a show I have not thought of in years. "Space 1999" was pretty good as well, but a little on the hokie side watching it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back