Strange photo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcogrifo

Airman 1st Class
Oct 1, 2006
Genoa, Italy
Days ago I came across this strange photo of an early model of Heinkel 111 bomber on the site Airwar.ru:

mb162-3.jpg

Can someone tells me for what reason they digged into ground wheels? :shock:

I really can't figure out why...:rolleyes:

Cheers

The only practical reason I can think of for digging the wheels out is that it got bogged in, they waited for the ground to dry out sufficiently and then got to it

The only practical reason I can think of for digging the wheels out is that it got bogged in, they waited for the ground to dry out sufficiently and then got to it
Yep, I see the point, it make sense, thank you Colin.
Anyway seems a bit strange to me they had previously parked the plane into a real marsh...:lol:

Any other?

Yep, I see the point, it make sense, thank you Colin.
Anyway seems a bit strange to me they had previously parked the plane into a real marsh...:lol:

Any other?

I don't think they deliberately parked it in a 'marsh'.
The onset of the Russian winter brought many problems for German mobility, mud or 'rasputitsa' severely hampered progress, resupply and affected all arms of the German offensive, roads and landing strips were quickly reduced to quagmires. Ground forces often resorted to wheeled vehicles being towed by tracked vehicles, the Luftwaffe just did the best they could.

Last edited:
I don't think they deliberately parked it in a 'marsh'.
The onset of the Russian winter brough many problems for German mobility, mud or 'rasputitsa' severely hampered progress, resupply and affected all arms of the German offensive, roads and landing strips were quickly reduced to quagmires. Ground forces often resorted to wheeled vehicles being towed by tracked vehicles, the Luftwaffe just did the best they could.
Funny how that same exact problem hampered Napoleon's troops too...

I thought it was an early He111 too but I'm not familiar enough to positively identify it, be helpful if we could see the tail, that was unmistakeable

I think Colin hit the nail on the head with the reason for the attitude of the wheels - you can see the planks lying around ready to be used for traction when they pull her out.

hi folks , a quick i.d. check shows the lack of early wing mounted oilcoolers and larger radiators make this version a He 111 b2 .

I think Colin hit the nail on the head with the reason for the attitude of the wheels - you can see the planks lying around ready to be used for traction when they pull her out.

I tend to agree, we had a similar problem with an Islander that landed on our short runway at Talbingo, Snowy Mountains, NSW. When it turn round on the grass, it was so wet the aircraft wheels just sank into the mud.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

One possibility that comes to mind is that it is the He 111 b-2 captured during the Spanish Civil War, dismantled and shipped to the Soviet Union where it was extensively tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back