structural differences between Dornier Do-17 and Do-215 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
I'm looking into building Do-215 nightfighter model and just now got the ICM kit. Fit of some critical kits parts is however extremely bad and flimsy. It has short-run written all over it.

So I'm looking into other ways to make this project happen. One of the ideas that crossed my mind was to take a Do-17 kit, for example the revell/monogram Do-17 kit (fuselage in particular as the ICM parts are going nowhere really) and try to work it into a 215 by adding as much ICM parts as I need to, to build it into a Do-215B-5

However, I know little about the dornier 17 series so I was wondering....is the Do-215 basically no more then a Do-17Z with DB-601 engines? or are there other strutural differences I need to take in to account with my approach (size/shape of wings, elevators, rudders, length of fuselage etc.

Comparing a few basic measurements I've gathered it seems to me the general size/shape of the two types is all but the same if you put them back to back.

Dornier Do-17 Depot

Have a look there..

Basically the Do-215 was an export version of the Do-17Z. As stated on one of the sections on the link I posted, Sweden and Yugoslavia were interested in buying Do-17Z's before the war. Luftwaffe insisted they build the Do-17Z with a new designation the Do-215. The Swedish wanted better performance and insisted on the DB-601 engines.

Do-17Z-0 : used weaker M series engine, restricted bomb load. (Bramo 323 A 900hp)
Do-17Z-1: Similar to -0 but added the 4th machine gun in the nose (Bramo 323A 900hp)
Do-17Z-2: Better known version, 6 machine guns, upgraded engine (Bramo 323P 1000hp)
Do-17Z-3: Z-2 but with camera equipment
Do-17Z-4: Dual control training a/c
Do-17Z-5: Z-2 equiped with a beacon, survival gear
Do-17Z-6: equipment test a/c
Do-17Z-7: Used Ju-88C armament in a custom build nose
Do-17Z-8: Known to exist, no info on it.
Do-17Z-10: New nose, new armament, and infrared detector

Do-215V1: Same as Do-17Z
Do-215V2: A 17Z-0 with Gnome-Rhone 14 cylinder Radial (D-AIIB).
Do-215V3: G-R radial was not good enough, Yugoslaves insisted for DB601A, thus V3

All can be found in link above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back