stumbled onto something I did not expect at all

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
A Trans World Airlines Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress.

TWA B17 1946

I want to build a 1:48 model of this, now lol

wow, I'm surprised nobody's replied to this, yet. this is a Boeing B-17 converted to an airliner

Yep, probably luggage. It wasn't the first one, as the Swedes converted some which had been interned during WW2, first for ball-bearing freight, and then for passenger use. They had a similar internal arrangement to that in the pics, with a cabin fore and aft of the bomb bay, and an extended nose for freight/baggage. Some also had the bomb bay sealed, and another cabin installed.
Rob, it's nothing particularly unusual, as a number were converted, during WW2, as troop transports, freighters, and as VIP transports. And, of course, this also lead to the development of the Stratoliner, using the same wing etc.

Yep, probably luggage. It wasn't the first one, as the Swedes converted some which had been interned during WW2, first for ball-bearing freight, and then for passenger use. They had a similar internal arrangement to that in the pics, with a cabin fore and aft of the bomb bay, and an extended nose for freight/baggage. Some also had the bomb bay sealed, and another cabin installed.
Rob, it's nothing particularly unusual, as a number were converted, during WW2, as troop transports, freighters, and as VIP transports. And, of course, this also lead to the development of the Stratoliner, using the same wing etc.

yea, but this is the first I've ever heard of a B-17 converted to a passenger airliner

lol yea, that'd take skill I'd never have :p

That's really cool.

Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back