Stupid F6F-3 Hellcat painting question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

robtmelvin

Airman
Feb 25, 2011
Harlan, Kentucky, U.S.A.
Hi, guys. I've got a pretty stupid question on painting the F6F-3 Hellcat by Eduard. My question is this, should the cockpit area above the instrument panel which would be under the wind screen be properly painted interior green, like the rest of the cockpit interior, or should it be either black or the dark blue color which the top of the fuselage will be painted.

I'm sorry for asking such a dumb a** question, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer in my research.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

No such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

...like the one I'm going to give you now: I did mine in interior green but I'ver seen colour pics with black and light gray as well.

I think the interior green is OK. The inner surfaces had been painted before the indicator panel was mounted inside. However the re-painting made by a maintenance crew can't be excluded.

Information from William Reece, whom is very knowledgeable on US aircraft interiors,

F6F-3 Hellcat. Cockpit: The first 100 F6F-3s almost certainly had Bronze Green cockpit interiors. The rest had FS 34151 cockpits. The engine cowling and the fuselage interior including the area behind the cockpit where the small windows are located was Light Gray FS 36440 (Grumman Gray). Remember on all of these a/c the general rule is that the wheel bays, landing gear struts, wheel centers, landing flap bays, etc. are the under surface color. The area ahead of the rear main spar in the wheel bay was interior green. This area was unmasked and so may have had some significant white over spray. Interior Green should be the dominant color.

Good one Wayne. So looks like this is probably the best bet:

Attachments

• hellcat47.jpg
    hellcat47.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 346

Users who are viewing this thread

Back