SU-25 After Being Hit By Missile

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think photos of this were posted earlier. I think it's repairable. At 0:23 some pretty good damage to the turbine, the black thing next to the engine looks like the starter/ generator. I wonder if the lower cowl was removed for inspection or shot away during the missile hit. I think the missile got a glancing strike and didn't go directly up the tailpipe, if it did all the armor in the world wasn't going to save this aircraft.

Clearly it didn't go up the tailpipe, or else that turbine fan wouldn't be intact?

I'm wondering if the damage to the aft fuselage might render this a write-off. I guess that depends on how sturdy the build is there. I know -25s are rugged -- this one got its pilot home, say what you will --but rebuild for future flying?

Clearly it didn't go up the tailpipe, or else that turbine fan wouldn't be intact?
Yep - that's why I think it was more of a glancing hit
I'm wondering if the damage to the aft fuselage might render this a write-off. I guess that depends on how sturdy the build is there. I know -25s are rugged -- this one got its pilot home, say what you will --but rebuild for future flying?
Again, from what I see I think it is reparable. From photos I've seen the fuselage structure aft of the engine bay is a separate assembly so the entire tail can be removed and replaced. Even though this looks ugly, if the sub assemblies are already built up it's a matter of removing the tail and replacing it and the control surfaces with a new one. Su-25s have been hit like this before.

This happened over Georgia a few years ago.

1648181747532.png

Yep - that's why I think it was more of a glancing hit

Again, from what I see I think it is reparable. From photos I've seen the fuselage structure aft of the engine bay is a separate assembly so the entire tail can be removed and replaced. Even though this looks ugly, if the sub assemblies are already built up it's a matter of removing the tail and replacing it and the control surfaces with a new one. Su-25s have been hit like this before.

This happened over Georgia a few years ago.

View attachment 662454

Gotcha, a modular build makes for simpler repairs.

this SU-25 wasn't as lucky

View attachment 662457
I did a frame-by-frame on the video for this shoot down and you can briefly see the ejection seat leave the aircraft at a less than parallel angle to the ground at an altitude of I'd guess less than 500'. Nothing deploys from the seat and it is seen, until the very last second, plunging into the ground. Brutal reality of war, I guess.

The IDF added "Sugar Scoops" to their A-4's, a half-pipe of metal below the exhaust, for just that kind of thing. Often, if struck, the Sugar Scoop would get blown away and damage to the airplane would be small.

Back in the 80's it was pointed out that the SU-25 was faster than the A-10 and thus better able to evade getting hit. The A-10, if hit, probably would get back but with the Soviet Drag Race to the Rhine underway there would not be time to repair it before the war in Europe was over. The F-16 was supposed to be the replacement for the A-10, with much improved survivability. But with a similar weapons load the F-16 could do a fine job of taking off from its base and defending the BX from attempted assaults from the O Club.

When Desert Shield got underway Stormin' Norman asked for every A-10 they could get. When Desert Storm was over they had lost 4 A-10's and 4 F-16's; so much for survivability.

Last edited:
Yep - and it doesn't help when you have an explosive charge traveling at near supersonic speeds go up your tail pipe, even if you have 2 engines
there is armored wall between R195 engines - it means when one is hit still specific chance exist to fly home - it was design mods added to the Su-25 in the end of Afghanistan intervention

there is armored wall between R195 engines - it means when one is hit still specific chance exist to fly home - it was design mods added to the Su-25 in the end of Afghanistan intervention
"A chance" yes, but I think you know that's dependent on how much debris the armor can hold back either from the missile or from the engine being destroyed and where the shrapnel eventually goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back