Sunken Aircraft in Egypt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi All,
New to the forum here and I am researching an aircraft that is submerged in approximately 4.5 meters of water in the Eastern Harbour of Alexandria, Egypt. Past rumor has stated that this is an Italian Fighter Bomber. However, in the four years of conducting research on surveys conducted in the harbor pertaining to the ruins of Cleopatra's Palace, it has never been stated that the plane even exists! Dove on the wreck site yesterday for the first time in about 4 years and actually recorded the details of the site in water with visibility of around half a meter. Am looking for assistance from the forum on what type of aircraft it could actually/possibly be. Here are the details that I have at present: Single seat in the cockpit, sliding glass frame cowling over the cockpit area, 1 axial engine on each wing (type unknown), forward wingspan is approximately 32-37 feet (just a guess because of poor visibility), forward and aft aeilerons (sic) on the forward wings. Aft left tail wing has a single bullet hole. And here is the odd part....the aircraft does not appear to have a vertical rudder in the tail section! There is no indication that it was removed by force during crashing, or that there was ever a vertical rudder installed. The aft section of the aircraft is in good condition and shows no battle damage other than the bullet hole already mentioned.

The onboard archaeologist from the Supreme Council of Antiquities (required to be present with tour operators....see my profile for additional info) told me that he suspects it to be a British aircraft. However, neither one of us are aviation enthusiasts so have never really looked hard at this.

I would like to be able to identify this aircraft by model in order to provide my fellow divers with correct information about the wreck site.

Any assistance that you here on the forum may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Or at least point me in the right direction. If the weather holds here, and the water clears up a bit, I may be able to provide some photos in the next 2 or 3 weeks as well.

Mike

Not much of a description.... twin engine, single seat and no (verticle) rudder.
Did it have spinners on the props ? Single blade prop, three blade ? No
nationality markings ? All metal, canvas ?

Photos would help...

BTW, welcome to the forum.....

Charles

What a cool dive that must be. Can't wait to see the pics so we can figure this thing out.

Hi All,
Thanks for the response. And yes, I knew that the description was pretty vague when I posted. However, that's about all of the information that I have at the moment. For those of you that might have been wondering if the aircraft was actually upside down and I might have been looking at what might look like a cockpit seat but was actually part of a bomb bay (One of my friends suggested this), I had considered that and looked for signs of fixed or retractable landing gear on the fuselage and forward wings.....None noted. And nope.....no spinners on either engine. And no markings. All metal and no canvas. I was kind of hoping that someone here could provide a short list of aircraft without a vertical rudder. That would give me a starting point for doing research.

Pictures will be difficult to get due to the poor visibility (last week was around 18-inches if that much!). This week or the next might be better.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome to the forum and I appreciate any input that you could provide.

Mike

=masterdiversint;And here is the odd part....the aircraft does not appear to have a vertical rudder in the tail section!

Twin finned?

But he said it was a single seater!

But Charles, in all that gloom and years of silt deposit, has he missed a gunners chair?

Past rumor has stated that this is an Italian Fighter Bomber
This is an Italian Fighter Bomber.

engine on each wing (type unknown)
This had two radials.

forward wingspan is approximately 32-37 feet (just a guess because of poor visibility)
You may have underestimated?

the aircraft does not appear to have a vertical rudder in the tail section!
This does fit that description.

The Breda 88.

Just a thought!

The Breda had a rear gun position so is not strictly a one seater and i think he would have noticed the upright positions on the rear tailplanes .Could it possibly be a Me 110 . Are the engines inline or radial ?

G'day!

Just a thought, but the tail fin(s) may have been removed as a shipping hazard, especially if they were tall.
On an aircraft such as the Breda 88, Fiat Br.20, Messerschmitt 110, Bristol Brigand, etc the removal of these wouldn't have been so obvious if someone was expecting the tail to be in the usual central position...

Any new info on her would be great!

Evan

Just to throw a few pics. Check the link, has some pics of sunken planes in that area.

Fiat

Attachments

• fiat br 20.jpg
    fiat br 20.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 252
  • breda 88.jpg
    breda 88.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 433

Users who are viewing this thread

Back