Supermarine Spitfire MkVb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fuzzbutt

Recruit
Dec 28, 2012
Hi Everyone a Happy new year to you all. :p

unnamed.jpg
A50055-back_1.jpg
I just recently joined this Forum after surfing the web for some examples on the Supermarine Spitfire MkVb Scale 1/24 (my Christmas present) and found this a very helpful site with its wealth of forums topics.

Due to the Scale of this kit, I want to make sure that I use the correct paint and great detail so that the end result will be breathe taking. This Kit comes with paint supplied but I found the paint not to be very good (used on the Battle for Britain Kit) so please feel free to bombard me with suggestions,

I have paid a visit to airscale 1:24 scale Full Panels - Cockpit instrument decals,placards and bezels for RAF, Luftwaffe, USAAF, USN, Soviet and WW1 aircraft. and will be using some of the products for the Cockpit.
I will gladly post some pictures on my progress, though its being a while since I have done this.
Thank you in advance and once again Great site !!!!

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year. Looking forward to seeing your build. Regarding paints, you'll need to decide first of all between enamels vs acrylics. Recommendations will depend on whether you're airbrushing or using a hairy stick.

Hi Creamea, So far I will be using the hairy stick. Still consenplating going for airbrushing, but I know that this is where the costs might go sky high.

You're probably better off with enamels then. I can suggest Model Master enamels which are widely available, premixed in the needed colours, and decent quality.

Many thanks for the advice Crimea.

Hi Crimea, what airbrush kit will you recomend? and will it cope with a small 12V car compresor? Many thanks in advance for all your help.

The automotive compressor could work if it had a pressure regulator. It may be a decent alternative to going out an buying an expensive purpose-built one but if it runs at a constant high pressure (above 25psi for airbrushing) then it won't be of much use. The other downside may be moisture transmission but an inexpensivemoisture trap can be installed at the compressor outlet.

Air brush recommendations depend on what you want to spend but it is not necessary to get a high end expensive brush for most applications. Good results can be achieved with a $50 brush. I don't have recommendations for you as I have no experience with anything other than my Paasche VL and Iwata HP-C, both of which I'm happy with. Search the site for airbrush discussions and you may find something of interest.

If the 12 volt car compressor is the type for inflating tyres, then the simple answer is, no, it won't work.
As Andy said, you don't need to spend a fortune to get a reasonable airbrush and compressor. I've been using an AB dual action, fine line brush for the last four years or so, with an inexpensive, simple compressor, and the results are every bit as good as the most expensive, all singing, all dancing items. OK, the compressor doesn't have the versatility of some, being 'fixed' pressure, no gauge etc, but it works, and it didn't cost the earth. (around £40 if I recall correctly, with the 'brush at £28).
There are normally some package deals around, where you'll get a reasonable 'brush, hose, compressor etc for around the £80 mark, or items can be purchased separately. have a look at Model Hobbies web site, and also the following (look for their own make - 'AB' - 'brushes.) :-
everthingairbrush.com

These should give you some idea of what's available.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back