Suppliers?? I am on an island!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Never did I imagine it would be so difficult to find Stuff! Two local hobby shops. One does carry some paint, the biggest shop in Sydney. "Do you have Hombrole lacquers?" "Just what is over there!" Local shop. "Do you have Humbrole lacquers?" "Just what's in that corner!" To the question of detail sets? No, you'll have to go on-line. I am constantly reminded I am at the mercy of a chosen few here in Oz. Is there even an on-line source for Alclad II? Hi polish Alum? White Alum? Hombrole? I think these are a figment of your imaginations! It's just so frustrating to find things from down here. I need the Alclad for my Polished Merlin's Magic. I need a cockpit kit for my Mk.Vc trop. I was looking for a cockpit detail kit for Merlin's Magic P-51D. Even on "Eplay" they just aren't there when you want them.

Any help with well stocked hobby suppliers would be appreciated. Perhaps we can start a list for our members and guests. Or is there one here somewhere.

This site has been such a great help to me. ww2Aircraft.net has given me the boost to start once more. Tools and techniques I have been looking for. For all of this I thank each and every one of you. cheers, Bill

During my search for materials to make RC planes, I came across a company that makes coverings for realistic metal appearance on model planes. I'll have to find that link tomorrow and add it to this thread.

Frontline Hobbies in Newcastle seems pretty well stocked online. Postage shouldn't be too bad from there.

Im in a similar position myself as I really have to travel to the city to find any decent stores.

I know your feeling buddy, been in the same boat for years so I just bite the bullet and order on-line, sometimes the postage for overseas stinks, but I have to wear it. As it is, with the A$ being so strong at the moment, it's a good time to go shopping.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Bill, you could give my mate Craig a go he has a shop in Adelaide and does mail order, has all sorts of stuff and trys to have a bit of everything available and if he hasn't got it he will certainly try and get it for you.

Craig Chidley
AeroWorks
20 The Strand
Colonel Light Gardens
SA 5041

Phone/Fax - 61 8 8357 4756
Email - [email protected]

Wayne I have sent of an email to Craig, we shall see what happens. Piet, this link was a dead end, as was AMI W-cat, sorry.

Maybe I should have made the thread "Where the bloody hell do you get Your supplies like paints and detail sets"? Dunno. Bill

Sorry to hear about your supply problems - even though it's a bl**dy big island! Seems like the Continent of Oz is little different to here in the UK. Once upon a time, there were many model shops, most stocking virtually everything (within reason). Most of the bigger towns and cities still have some good outlets, but some, particularly the smaller concerns, are, to an extent, at the mercy of the suppliers, and their 'minimum order' policies and similar. Some (very) long established shops have now gone, bought out by 'High Street' chains, which tend to be more of 'this is what we have as it's the latest product' sort of place - not a lot of use tio the serious modeller, apart from the occassional 'good deal', normally stock clerarance sales. I was horrified to learn recently that, what used to be my local shop, where I was born and brought up, has been 'taken over', and relocated, after almost 100 years of trading!!
Like many of us, I now have to rely on mail order for a great number of items unobtainable locally, even to 'special order', so thank heavens for the Internet! Before the creation of this fantastic system, mail order could be prolonged, and hit and miss!
Just a thought for your Natural Metal Finish, if you can't obtain Alclad. Somewhere here in the modelling section, I posted a piece on Bare Metal made easy, which might help you. Of course, you might prefer other methods, but it's worth a look.
Cheers,
Terry.

Airframes I am spoiled coming from the U.S. There hobby shop I used to go to 15 yeaqrs ago was as bug as any grocery store you would ever want to visit. EVERYTHING. A section of the store for everything. Plastic, trains, planes, military, paint, accessories, tools, materials. And manned by an "expert" in every department. You never had to leave without what you need. Even dolls, crochet, RC, cars, planes, boats. Now I am at the mercy of, like you say, the "deal". Even on the net it seems one cannot find what one "wants". Even the manufacturers don;t have a comprehensive list of what they offer. ****, I'm starting to tear up, gotta go. cheers? Bill

You're right mate, you have beeen spoiled in the US...in NZ and Oz it was always hard to get your hands on what you wanted, and you pay the earth for what's available...

One place you could trythough is a shop called 'Wings n' things'. They have two branches on Sydney's north shore: Brookvale and Gladesville. My local was the Brookvale branch, which was good, but small selection and bloody expensive. Once met a guy though who worked at the Gladesville branch, which he said has a much better selection and reasonable prices. I'd try there first.

Thanks for that A4K, just looked them up on the net, will call tomorrow. Wayne, I just got aq catalog from AeroWorks, looked thru it and have found some things but I'll have to print it out and look closer and see if he has stuff in stock. I am getting closer!!! Thanks to all, cheers, Bill

Wayne, you guy Craig is the one! I got his catalog in the email the other day, called him today and had a good chat, a great bloke, willing to help. I am going to make a list and get it off to him. I would recommend anyone in Oz who may need that hard to find thingy to give him a shout, or email.

A4K I looked up Wings and found three locations and numbers, no answer on one of them, and the other two were couldn't connect at all. Bugger. Bill.... don't mean to bugger bill, just cheers, Bill

Wayne, you guy Craig is the one! I got his catalog in the email the other day, called him today and had a good chat, a great bloke, willing to help. I am going to make a list and get it off to him. I would recommend anyone in Oz who may need that hard to find thingy to give him a shout, or email.

A4K I looked up Wings and found three locations and numbers, no answer on one of them, and the other two were couldn't connect at all. Bugger. Bill.... don't mean to bugger bill, just cheers, Bill

Cheers Bill, pricing wise he is pretty good too!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back