sword models 1/48 EE lightning T.4 review

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok so my lightning T.4 arrived yesterday so here is a quick review of its parts.

look away now Jim ! :lol:

i must admit i was pretty underwhelmed when i opened the box.
there are 83 parts in total made of a hard shiny grey/blue plastic.
you get two resin seats and resin jet pipes, it cost me £34.99 and i think its at least £10 to expensive if i am honest

box art showing a 56sqn bird (one for you Vic)
painting guids and decals for two machines, one from 56 sqn and a green upper surface machine from 92 sqn

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0079.JPG

DSCF0078.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

sprue shots

DSCF0052.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

resin parts and the clear canopy bits

DSCF0061.JPG

DSCF0055.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

some closer shots

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0075.JPG

Last edited:
to sum up, its not a bad kit.

a little basic for the price and if you build like i do, the resin bits dont matter, but saying that there are no corresponding plastic parts for seats and jet pipes !

i guess the proof will be in the assembling to see if its any good but i do think its a bit pricey, but hey its a two seat Lightning so i am not complaining too much !

hope you guys enjoy this little review and sorry for some of the picture quality.

karl

I've built some Sword kits, or kits with the injection molded plastic made by Sword. I wouldn't get your hopes too high regarding the fit. In my experience it varies between average and not good at all :)
Cheers
Steve

I've built some Sword kits, or kits with the injection molded plastic made by Sword. I wouldn't get your hopes too high regarding the fit. In my experience it varies between average and not good at all :)
Cheers
Steve

Few people on britmodeller are saying its pretty good so far and they normally savage anything for the mearest of flaws !

Thanks for posting Karl. It looks pretty good overall, but I agree, rather pricey for what you get, and especially compared (relatively) to their 1/72nd scale Lightnings, which were around the same price as the Airfix examples, but with more detail in resin and PE parts.
But as mentioned, it's a 2-seat Lightning, and to make one another way would cost around £27 for a kit, and around £30 or more for a conversion kit.
I could be tempted - but I must resist, resist, resist ...............
EDIT:- Forgot to ask - is there any cockpit side wall detail? Can't see the traditional cockpit tub, and there should be side consoles.

Last edited:
Cheers guys.

Terry, i have seen a review on a Polish website with the parts sat next to an airfix kit, it measures up very well for size, the wing halves look like they could almost be swapped.
Just hope it goes together ok !

The reviews, and comparisons, for their 1/72nd scale series of Lightnings were very good. Both manufacturers came out well, but the Sword kits had the edge, as the price was virtually the same as Airfix, but with much more detail, especially in the cockpit, and the jet pipes.
From what I've seen, they've come a long way in moulding quality since their earlier kits. I have their 1/48th scale Auster which, while being good (to look at, not tried a dry fit yet), is fairly simple and basic in the mouldings, and not a patch on what I've seen on both their Lightning scales.
I'm sorely tempted, as I've wanted 2 seat Lightning for many years, but I've literally run out of room even to store kits, let alone built models, and, by the time I've built them all, I'll be well over 70 !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back