Sword models 1/72 P80 a/b

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TimEwers

Airman 1st Class
Aug 28, 2010
Will be doing this one as a A model
about the kit no locating tabs think Special hobby kind of kit.

fine lines so can't be heavy with the paint.

does have some pour stubs but most wont be seen.

no numbers on the parts tee so you will need to orient the parts tee with the instructions to see if you got the right part especially with the landing gear and other small bits

they make it fairly easy to tell which part goes with which version

Plastic is soft but not too soft.
The resin parts are nice and crisp they call for zink cromate on the landing gear bay and inside the cockpit but not which one so I am going to have to pick up both colors and try to find that out.

Also the paint they call for on the first two versions is pearl grey which the closest I came to is either light grey or aircraft grey; light grey is a bit too light and aircraft grey is a bit too dark but that is what I found.

Will definitely get another one of their kits though probably pick up one of their T33 kits.

Attachments

• Picture 588.jpg
    Picture 588.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Picture 572.jpg
    Picture 572.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Picture 573.jpg
    Picture 573.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 575.jpg
    Picture 575.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 579.jpg
    Picture 579.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Picture 581.jpg
    Picture 581.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 582.jpg
    Picture 582.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 197
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 586.jpg
    Picture 586.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 587.jpg
    Picture 587.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 201
Well here is where I am at with it once again the insides were too big and need trimming But I trimmed too much and if the canopy does not hide it then out with the putty, other thing is the the wing bottom is too long. what would be better trimming the fuselage halves to fit the wing or the wing to fit the fuselage?.

It also said put weight in the nose but not how much so I just stuffed as much putty in there as I could hopefully it will be enough.

Attachments

• Picture 591.jpg
    Picture 591.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture 589.jpg
    Picture 589.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 215
Well here is where I am at And it looks like the plastic reacted badly to the putty guess I used too much. any way of fixing it? or do I just chalk it up to experience.

Attachments

• Picture 605.jpg
    Picture 605.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Picture 606.jpg
    Picture 606.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Picture 602.jpg
    Picture 602.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Picture 607.jpg
    Picture 607.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 218
Maybe a fine car body filler will smooth it out? Bill and Aaron can probably advise which brand to get in the USA - it'll be the type used for filling small scratches in paint work. Or leave it as it is, and call it 'ground handling damage' !?!
For nose weights, use something like 'Plasticine' (kids synthetic modelling clay) with either small lead fishing weights, or air gun pellets embedded into it. This should not cause the plastic to deform, and the lead weights, held in place by the 'Plasticine', will provide plenty of nose ballast.

Not a bad looking kit, bummer about the putty, but as Terry says some filler on that outer surface and some careful sanding to maintain the right curvature and you will be back in business in no time! :D

Well this kit will not get done it's now a paint hack, why carpet monster got the forward landing gear.

I suppose I should be thankful tho I got a nice ejection seat nice decals and nice early style drop tanks from it so not a total loss. I suppose the seat could work on a f 86 or a navy f9

If you get this kit do not use squadron putty at least not as much as I did dang sure will react to the plastic.

It is a nice kit but most of the problem are with the size and shape of the landing gear doors and where they fit gear doors are too big and not right shape and the places they are suppose to fit into are too small. On the real aircraft they would not even close correctly.

Best bet before gluing the wings together would be to trace the outline of the door openings on a scrap piece of plastic and scratch build them from that.

If I get another another one of these kits at least I'll know what not to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back