Take Down American Flag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Supervisor Asks Woman To Take Down American Flag

Woman Upset After American Flag Taken Down At Work - cbs11tv.com

For one Arlington woman, the answer was "no" after she hung an American flag in her office just before the Memorial Day weekend.

Debbie McLucas is one of four hospital supervisors at Kindred Hospital in Mansfield. Last week, she hung a three-by-five foot American flag in the office she shares with the other supervisors.

When McLucas came to work Friday, her boss told her another supervisor had found her flag offensive. "I was just totally speechless. I was like, 'You're kidding me,'" McLucas said.

McLucas' husband and sons are former military men. Her daughter is currently serving in Iraq as a combat medic.

Stifling a cry, McLucas said, "I just wonder if all those young men and women over there are really doing this for nothing."

McLucas said the supervisor who complained has been in the United States for 14 years and is formerly from Africa. McLucas said that supervisor took down the flag herself.

"The flag and the pole had been placed on the floor," McLucas said. But McLucas also said hospital higher-ups had told her some patients' families and visitors had also complained.

"I was told it wouldn't matter if it was only one person," she said. "It would have to come down."

McLucas said hospital bosses told her as far as patriotism was concerned, the flag flying outside the hospital building would have to suffice.

"I find it very frightening because if I can't display my flag," McLucas asked, "what other freedoms will I lose before all is said and done?"

Kindred Healthcare's corporate headquarters are located in Kentucky. We called them for comment when we were first working on this story Tuesday, but they did not return our calls.

Wednesday morning, however, our story received nationwide attention. We have received dozens of emails and comments from people who had something to say about it. And a receptionist at Kindred's headquarters told us they received many phone calls.

Then, late Wednesday morning, Kindred posted on its website a statement about the incident. It reads, in part: "The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up."

If I were her I would have countered the "Other found it offensive" with "I find it offensive that someone finds my patriotism and flag hanging offensive"!!!

I would have struggled hard not to smack the supervisor in the face
What an intrusion, complaining about it is bad enough but to go into someone's space and start removing things? Isn't that a bit like the feeling you get when you've just been burgled?
We're too soft in the West on hokey immigrants who are quite happy to live off our stable, comfortable lifestyle but seem to have difficulty with the tolerance issue that made it all possible in the first place.
Someone should have brought that supervisor up on the issue and given her a very unambiguous chat about just where she went wrong that day, along with an equally unambiguous indication of what would happen if she did it again.

Where's that Aussie Prime Minister when you need him?

I would wear business casual red, white, and/or blue shirts, pants, hats, scarf, socks, whatever from now on to work with an American flag pin attached to my shirt.........

.........and just smile from ear to ear.

Just imagine if an immigrant moved to some place like China and said the Chinese flag was offensive, it must be removed...

This is the United States of America, and in the United States of America, we display our flag. If that strikes anyone as offensive, then they should feel free to head right home where their own flag makes them feel warm and fuzzy all over. And don't let the door hitcha on the a** on the way out...

When I am in another country, I respect their right to fly their flag. This is ridiculous For a country that started out kick ass, there certainly are a lot of pansies here now.

My question is would I have a similar right to be offended by taking down the American flag? It seems to me that alot of time stuff like this caters to the minority in the situation rather than any offense that would have been taken by the American born citizen. Who's protecting my right or her right to be offended?

If they found my flag offensive, I'd give them a lesson on what the flag means to me and my family. We've been in America for over 400 years (yes THAT long) and I have at least 8 direct ancestors that fought in the American Revolution. If they asked me to remove my flag, I'd tell them where to stuff it, and their "sensitivities". These colors don't run, nor burn. Nor do I.

The problem with pointing out that you are offended at their offense is that when you're not a minority, it doesn't matter. Your rights stopped when they set foot in this country. Period. I've fought before to at least get Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Veteran's Day off (when working in retail) simply because I'd served my country and felt like I deserved a day to kick back and relax, but always had to work EVERY one of those holidays while someone else got the day off. One manager even had the gall to tell me that I was no longer in the military, and had the freedom to sell stuff to people. What a frikkin twisted, warped, perverted sense of duty, honor, and good ole fashioned respect we have these days! The OP story, while disgusting and offensive to me, honestly doesn't surprise me much. Nor does the fact that they rolled over on their opinion in the face of popular disgust. I can respect someone making a decision and sticking by it. I may not agree with your decision, but I will respect your courage and committment to stand by what you've done. But rolling over and reversing every other day...that's just weak.

Thor....I'm with ya, bro. Heck, its a hospital, and I KNOW they make patriotic scrubs!!! Dad had some....

I actually am too lazy to type all the comments I have.

call me and I'll have a lot to say.

The flag is back up. The hospital has issued an apology claiming it was just a arguement between co-workers.

The flag is back up. The hospital has issued an apology claiming it was just a arguement between co-workers.
Oh bullsh!t...those PR iceholes and thier CYA policy...

They need to man-up and admit they were wrong, and won't let that happen again.

I am sick of the U.S. being held hostage by one or two people who get thier feelings hurt...

Amen. Our country is being run by mamby-pambies/ACLU liberals catering to the least common denominator. I fear for our nation's character. And that African bitch can hitch a ride back to her dirt floor hut in her home cuntry and piss and moan to people that just as soon cut her hands off for having an edumacation.

**** her and her family of likely soon to be Americun misfits.

Amen. Our country is being run by mamby-pambies/ACLU liberals catering to the least common denominator. I fear for our nation's character. And that African bitch can hitch a ride back to her dirt floor hut in her home cuntry and piss and moan to people that just as soon cut her hands off for having an edumacation.

**** her and her family of likely soon to be Americun misfits.

Thought you were just spitting feathers until I looked up 'edumacation' in the urban dictionary.:D

'Cuntry' is also their but plain ole 'cun+' probably describes her better.

You learn something new.:twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back