Tamiya 1/32nd scale Spitfire MkIX

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
For those who haven't already seen it, here's some excerpts from the latest Tamiya ads for their new 1/32nd scale Spit kit.
Billed as the most detailed Spitfire model ever, the kit certainly looks superb. The removable cowling panels are only 0.04mm thick, and are held in place by tiny magnets, whilst the Merlin engine appears to be complete in every detail. The cockpit and engine include PE parts, and two figures are included, one standing, and one, for the cockpit, in a sitting position, in full flying kit.
It's already on sale in the U.S. at around $115, which is £30 less than the UK retail price of £100 !
Very nice, but I don't think I can justify that sort of price for a kit! I think I'll wait and see what the proposed series of Hobbycraft offerings are like; if nothing else, at least they should be a lot cheaper I would think.
Correction. I included a note stating the kit was a IXe, which I've now deleted. It is in fact a IXc.

Attachments

• Can Jan 195.jpg
    Can Jan 195.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Can Jan 196.jpg
    Can Jan 196.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Can Jan 197.jpg
    Can Jan 197.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Looks great but I'll give it a pass for now. The price of my remaining unbuilt kits alone is about the same as what I'd pay for that Spit so I'll save the cash til the novelty wears off - if it ever does.

Same here. I have to admit, I'd like another MkIX in 1/32nd scale, but not that much!
BTW, I made a mistake, the thickness of the cowlings is 0.4mm, not 0.04mm as I originally posted.

Yep. They've been designed and made to scale, to fit around the scale engine and engine bearers, just like the full-sized bird. They can be fitted, as in one of the pics shown, and removed to display all the detail, without detracting from the look of the model in any way. Sounds bl**dy marvellous, and I'm really tempted, but...£100 for one, fighter-sized model is too much for my wallet!

115 aint too bad , although what that converts to in NZD could be abit scary ( be a while if I decide to get one)

Certainly looks a beaut

I agree the magnets is brilliant. In fact the whole concept that the cowlings come off as scale items in themselves is great! Usually they are more demonstrative than accurate.

Their new P-40 is going for like 90 bucks NZD vs Tamiya's new Spit 160 NZD

Coulda been cheaper ,who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back