Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair VF-17 'Big Hog' Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heinz

Captain
Feb 6, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
Hey guys my 2nd model I've started late last week. Will be doing No. 1 'Big Hog' from VF -17 Ondonga November 1943. Partially painted wings and interior is just waiting to be assembling after I finish dry brushing and such.

Cheers.

Attachments

• corsairinterior.jpg
    corsairinterior.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Hey guys just a quick update. As you will see I still need to finish dry brushing some of the interior but tonight gave it a wash, dirty it up. I attempted to cut out and individually apply the dials for the control panel and got one down but gave up after the rest disintergrated, definately need to build my skills here lol.

Gave the engine a dirty wash too, again needs finally detailing with dry brushing. Given the nature of the corsair's wings I've been weathering the already painted sections, not something I've done before. I've experimented with some pencils and a rubber, hopefully with a wash and flat coat it will look a little better.

I also want to fade out the upper surface blue more, any thoughts? Bare in mind I'm using run of the mill spray cans for this build, I usually brush paint but the feathered kind of edges between the blues and white got me worried :shock: :lol:

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• corsairupdate1.jpg
    corsairupdate1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 272
  • corsairupdate2.jpg
    corsairupdate2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 276
  • corsairupdate3.jpg
    corsairupdate3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 272
  • corsairupdate4.jpg
    corsairupdate4.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 263
  • corsairupdate5.jpg
    corsairupdate5.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 276
  • corsairupdate6.jpg
    corsairupdate6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 336
  • corsairupdate7.jpg
    corsairupdate7.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Nice work Heinz. Not to step in on you, but do you know what typical color that circular object is painted behind the engine? On my P61 it said zinc chromate, so I am going off that. Because on my B24J it has the same look as your engine and it said paint it all black, which I want to get my engine accurate. Anyone that knows, please share!

Thanks guys :)

Well yeah Maglar it said black so I just did the engine colour, gun metal. Its largely hidden in the corsair but I'd say do it black because behind a radial there would be framing rather than a bulk head as such not to mention it would dark and filthy.

Cheers.

Right you are, maybe the p61 did have a bulk as the engine seemed rather advanced. Here is a picture i dug up, I dont think i'll be detailing it this much.. :lol:

Attachments

• B24Engine.jpg
    B24Engine.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 259
Thanks Dan!

For some reason I tried a different blue for the upper surfaces over what I had done, wasn't the best move. I will gently sand the area with some very fine wet n dry and then re spray it and re weather it.

Also having some trouble with Humbrol's Matt cote, the stuff in a jar. Doesn't dry Matt at all :S

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back