Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang "Geronimo"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
This is my 1/48 scale Tamiya P-51B of the 357th Fighter Group, piloted by Capt. John Pugh. She was nicknamed "Geronimo". Aftermarket upgrades used on this kit were resin seat by Ultracast, resin wheel well insert by Vector and decals by Super Scale. Eduard masks were used to help mask the windscreen and rear quarter windows.

JTK_0711_zpsvjaec4wj.jpg

JTK_0705_zpserh67lbm.jpg

JTK_0706_zpsiju2vdni.jpg

JTK_0707_zpsekwavxsg.jpg

JTK_0708_zps8zyu1dfx.jpg

JTK_0709_zpsutmp9upc.jpg

JTK_0712_zpstzeydfze.jpg

JTK_0713_zpshhx80cm2.jpg

JTK_0714_zpssrmzttqb.jpg

The build thread can be found here...
Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang

Thanks guys! The only thing I'm wondering about are those lower wing stripes. They are such low contrast that I wonder if they were black instead of white, like the OD/Neutral gray aircraft. FWIW, the instructions supplied white decals for the underwing stripes.

Oops! Hal was nice enough to point out that I had reversed the landing gear covers so that needs to be fixed. I also forgot to paint and mount the rear view mirror that mounts on top of the windscreen.

Here are a few photos with the landing gear covers fixed and mirror added.
JTK_0737_zps0l7kffja.jpg

JTK_0739_zps9issdj5z.jpg

JTK_0738_zps1olrholb.jpg

JTK_0743_zpswld6mgyd.jpg

JTK_0741_zpsqgvpjhcc.jpg

JTK_0744_zps18joge5u.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work with paint, looks tremendous this Tang.
Another beautiful model to your collection; congratulations John :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Very nicely done John.
Regarding the wing stripes - the aircraft started off in NMF overall, with the OD added in preparation for the move to the Continent, so there's a good chance the underside stripes were still black.

Thanks guys!

Very nicely done John.
Regarding the wing stripes - the aircraft started off in NMF overall, with the OD added in preparation for the move to the Continent, so there's a good chance the underside stripes were still black.

I just went with the Super Scale recommendations for the white stripes but after it was done, I noticed how little contrast there was between the white stripe and the rest of the bottom. Would make sense that black would probably used on NMF bottoms while white would be used on Neutral Grey.

Thanks! It was a learning experience getting to a mostly NMF finish but I'm glad I chose a scheme with the OD on the upper surfaces. I'm not quite ready for an all-NMF build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back