Tamiya 1/48th P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Recently a friend of mine decided to divest himself of most of his WWII 1/48th scale stuff and I was the lucky benefactor. He gave to me a total of 5 kits.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

as well as this one some time ago
IMG_0006.jpg

I have decided to build the P-51 first and am leaning towards finishing it as Lou IV but no final decision has been made yet. It will be an out of the box build.
IMG_0010.gif

IMG_0011.gif

No time lines but I will chip away at her as time permits and update as progress dictates.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks fellas. I will be starting this project very soon. I was thinking about the finish and began wondering about the state of the decals included with the kit.My friend has had these models sitting around for awhile so I decided to purchase some aftermarket decals. This has been done through Hannants and I received an e mail today that they have shipped the set. I am not saying what finish to expect as I will keep this as a surprise for as long as possible.

Cheers,

Jeff

Got things started this weekend. Completed the cockpit and will have pics of it when it is installed in the fuselage. Also painted the landing gear struts, tires and interior of main gear doors. For now this is all I have photos of.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Not much but at least it is started. Time is hard to find as I am also in the middle of collecting maple sap to boil down for the making of maple syrup.

Cheers,

jeff

Looking good so far Jeff. One point though - the wheel wells and inside the well doors and gears doors were clear varnished bare metal. with only the rear wall of the bay (the main spar) in zinc chromate.

Managed to get a bit more done last night. In addition to joining the fuselage halves, the drop tanks, landing gear and doors, elevators and prop parts have all been painted. The fuselage went together very nicely and needed just a bit of putty in a couple of spots to seal up some spaces. A light sanding of the seam and a bit of a washdown and she will be ready for a primer coat.
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff

Looking good Jeff.
When you say 'primer coat', are you intending to prime it before fitting the wings? If so, I'd wait until the wings and tail planes are fitted, checked for correct alignment and any gaps, filled and sanded if required, and polished where needed. It'll save having to re-prime, and makes painting much easier, especially for a bare metal finish, if it's going to be that.

Looking good Jeff.
When you say 'primer coat', are you intending to prime it before fitting the wings? If so, I'd wait until the wings and tail planes are fitted, checked for correct alignment and any gaps, filled and sanded if required, and polished where needed. It'll save having to re-prime, and makes painting much easier, especially for a bare metal finish, if it's going to be that.

Yes, I meant after everything is " put together ". Thanks for the tips and please feel free to keep handing them out.

Jeff

Wow, quick build. Test fit the exhausts before you paint. I installed them at the end of the build instead of when thy wanted early in the build. I almost destroyed the nose art on mine trying to force them in and had to sand the ends a bit. Model looks good so far.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back