Tamiya P 51D project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
This is my first attempt to build a model in probably 20 years....and they were more of a son and father thing. it was more about the time spent than the looks. i am going to be muddling through this but i am going to give it an attempt. here's the kit i picked. it is the tamiya version but i am not going to make it the color scheme that is on the box. the main reason i picked this particular kit was it had the paper drop tanks as opposed to the aluminum ones. there is a whole story behind the plane i am going to build and i will share that as i progress.

the last pic shows 2 sets of decals. this ac will be in a 357th FG theme and i found decals for nose checkering/striping. not sure if i am going to use them or paint that..

Attachments

• IMG_0572_1.JPG
    IMG_0572_1.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0573_1.JPG
    IMG_0573_1.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0574_1.JPG
    IMG_0574_1.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0575_1.JPG
    IMG_0575_1.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
the first photo is the plane i am going to build and the scene i am going to attempt to recreate. the origin of this particular aircraft has begins its history with the tragic event of this day Jan. 10, in 1945. during the war pilots shared aircraft. when a pilot had gained enough seniority he was awarded his own plane. being the more senior pilot they got the "rights" to name the craft. but when it wasnt his day on the roster to fly someone else fly the daily mission in it. on that day my father was not scheduled to fly and Lt. Frederick C. McCall ( second photo) took the first C5-U on an area patrol near Kassel, Germany. during that mission they observed ac landing at Paderborn airfield and began strafing the field. on his second pass Lt. McCall was either hit by flak or clipped a tree or other obstacle and went in. he did not survive the crash.

Attachments

• c5-u3.jpg
    c5-u3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 131
  • mccall.jpg
    mccall.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Tell yah what mate, you have come to the right place to get back into the hobby. Being a senior citizen and not built anything in 15 years I have had nothing but good experiences with all of the members of this forum. You need help, with anything, someone will come to you aid!!! Guaranteed. Look around at some of the other builds of the Mustang, pick the parts you feel comfortable with and do them. Then find some things that seem just a Little over your head, and ask That builder for a little advice, you Will get the best! Happy building, take your time and the forum will help you build something you never thought possible. Cheers, from downundah, Bill

Good luck with the model. It sounds interesting. :)

Great background for building your Mustang. Enjoy returning to building models.

it was more about the time spent than the looks.

Always a good idea to keep in mind while building any kit.

I look forward to seeing how your Mustang turns out.

Dan

You picked a real nice kit to start with. I started test fitting the same kit and had it almost completely together without glue or tape to hold the parts together. All the seams looked almost perfect too.
If you need help or advice you'll get it here, just ask!

great news Bobby, and help is here when / if you need it. Note that the tanks in the pic of the P51 are the grey-painted metal 108 gallon type - same shape as the silver paper tanks, but without the reinforcing ribs.

Bobby, like you said, just have fun and do the best you can. I sometimes get to serious and have to step back. Everyone here is a wealth of knowledge, they have been helping me like you wouldn't believe. They make it really easy so don't sweat it.:thumbright:

Hey Bobby you picked the right kit to start with I have built a few of these.The Tamiya P51 is to the 51 gendra as is there 109 just excellant.Have fun and an interesting story behind it.Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back