TBM-1P TBM-1CP info sought

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ReccePhreak

Airman
Feb 10, 2008
NW Florida
I am looking for info on the camera location(s) for the TBM-1P TBM-1CP Avenger. I want to build one of the planes assigned to VT-19 in 1944. All the internet sites seemed to have copied the same info. All they say is that the TBM-1CP (and TBF-1CP) had a tri-met camera array installed. They also say the TBM-1P (and TBF-1P) had a camera installed in the bomb bay. As a minimum, I would like info on the size location of the camera ports. :dontknow:
This is the photo I saw in a book (Can't remember what book), and the caption states the plane was a TBM-1CP

View: https://zh-tw.facebook.com/NavalAviationMuseum/photos/a.223115755173.288718.71553655173/10152125224630174/
The same photo on the National Naval Aviation Museum Facebook page does not mention the plane type.
TIA
Larry Engesath

Last edited:
I am looking for info on the camera location(s) for the TBM-1P TBM-1CP Avenger. I want to build one of the planes assigned to VT-19 in 1944. All the internet sites seemed to have copied the same info. All they say is that the TBM-1CP (and TBF-1CP) had a tri-met camera array installed. They also say the TBM-1P (and TBF-1P) had a camera installed in the bomb bay. As a minimum, I would like info on the size location of the camera ports. :dontknow:
This is the photo I saw in a book (Can't remember what book), and the caption states the plane was a TBM-1CP

View: https://zh-tw.facebook.com/NavalAviationMuseum/photos/a.223115755173.288718.71553655173/10152125224630174/
The same photo on the National Naval Aviation Museum Facebook page does not mention the plane type.
TIA
Larry Engesath

Updated with more info.

The TBF-1CP and TBM-1CP both used a "Trimetrogon" camera - there were two types, the K-3B or K-17, though I'm not sure which type was used with the Avenger.
The camera assembly rested in the bottom of a fuselage (other aircraft were fitted with it, too) with the central lenses aimed down and the other lenses facing inward at close to a 45° angle.

I don't have any pix of the TBF/M's installation, but this page has a good description of the Trimetrogon and a photo (fig. 1) of a typical installation.

As far as camera ports, there would only be one, beneath the camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back