TBM Avenger forced water landing.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glad everyone is ok.

Attachments

• FA19DF86-047B-4385-A5E5-25C7F621AA71.jpeg
    FA19DF86-047B-4385-A5E5-25C7F621AA71.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 77
Well, glad to hear that all are OK! also, a question comes to my hand: This is a ww2 era plane, how do they get repair parts??? they build'em or use spare parts from that era? of course, if any usable spare parts remained after all these years!!!

Well, glad to hear that all are OK! also, a question comes to my hand: This is a ww2 era plane, how do they get repair parts??? they build'em or use spare parts from that era? of course, if any usable spare parts remained after all these years!!!
You certainly came to the right place to get that answer. Hello GregP. Come in GregP.

Presumably these aircraft were designed to work in a salty environment? I would have though that no great harm would be done if it were washed down with plain water.
Brian

Some parts are still available, others will be made. With some quick effort on a corrosion control program, most of the a/c can be saved. Wiring, circuit breakers, switches and instruments are goners, as are flexible hoses. Any of the original electronics can be saved with effort. A complete flood wash and then flooding everything with ACF50 or LPS-2 or similar fluids will go a long way to arresting the start of any corrosion. After that, a fast and complete tear down and cleaning of all structure and systems components to eliminate any remaining salt residue will be needed. As to how much of that gets done and on what time schedule will be dictated by the museum and it's insurance company.

FowellBox: There is a huge difference between being exposed to salt air and submersion in salt water in the way you have to treat the structure for long term survivability.

Many thanks Cvairman, my only experience was when a RAF Nimrod had to ditch due to some mechanical failure and the company that I worked for at the time got the job of providing a complete replacement wiring loom and, of course the Nimrod was not an historic aircraft then.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back