Telephone scams.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
I had a call from a 702 area code that wanted to let me know that I had won a lottery that I didn't even remember entering!
All they wanted was some basic information. My social security number, my bank account number , and routing number. What could go wrong?
I won a lottery! Yay!

They're a PITA.
In the UK, relatively recent legislation means claims can be made for past accidents, the mis-selling of PPI (insurance against loans taken out) and a number of similar things. I get at least three text (SMS) messages per day, telling me I have, on average, £1,540 waiting for me, as compensation for mis-sold PPI.
Marvellous, fantastic!
I've never had PPI !!
The latest one, yesterday, told me I can claim £535 compensation for a delayed flight!!
Yeah, right. My last commercial flight was four years ago - and it wasn't delayed !!
Works wonders when I reply to the message with one word - B*ll*cks !!

I usually get a phonecall from pleople who's english is worse than mine. They claim to be from Microsoft and tell me to do some things on my computer to close a "security leak" that they found on my Windows system. Unfortunately for them I use Linux and not Windows. :D

I regulalry get calls from people from overseas (you can tell by the short delay before they answer). They usually want to sell me cheap phone calls. All i have to do is key in some routine security codes into my phone.

I used to ask these guys for their Telstra Id numbers. Most just hang up, one or two tried to give me bogus numbers (Put them on call wait, ring TELSTRA, and they confirm the hoax). I tried just hanging up, tried telling them I was onto them, but they just ring back.

Now Imm trying a new tactic. I ask them to hold on please, park the call, and just leave them there. i can watch how long they stay on the line before giving up. One hung on for over 30 mins.

Im putting the caller ID numbers onto a list and will eventually pass it on to TELSTRA, but the lastest tactic does seem to work. I use that for telemarketers too.

Yeah, I'm getting these calls from the "windows security center" with heavily Indian accented callers with names like "Eric", "Mike" and so on, who tell me my computer has been compromised.

I tell them that I appreciate their concern, so how do we fix the security issue on my iPad...they hang up.

Takes me back to the days when I used to get notifications about Nigerian Attorneys trying to contact me regarding some long lost relative leaving me an enormous sum in some bank account in England...I never knew I had so many distant relatives that had so much money.

I got a nice email recently. The sender didn't tell me how many millions or billions he wanted to give me.

"From The Regional Manager!

Best Regards,

How are you doing including your family, hope all is well?,

My purpose of contacting you is to crave your indulgence to assist me in securing some funds to your bank account in your count. I am writing you this proposal in good faith, believing that I can trust in you with the information I am about to reveal to you.

As you indicate your interest, I will send you the full information about how the business will be executed.

Best Regards,
Mr. Johnson Kwame."

I'm guessing English wasn't his special subject at school :) Yet another 419 scam.

Steve

I usually get a phonecall from pleople who's english is worse than mine. They claim to be from Microsoft and tell me to do some things on my computer to close a "security leak" that they found on my Windows system. Unfortunately for them I use Linux and not Windows. :D

I've received that call numerous times now. Bold buggers they are. They even give you a return number to call for more information. My response to them was if you know that my specific computer has malware on it, tell me my IP address for confirmation.

In general #1 with caller ID I simply do not answer the phone if I do not know the caller. Computers which call phone numbers in sequence register phones that answer. In that manner they know they have a valid number and will also sell that information. #2 persistant unidentified callers get blocked. My house phone allows me to block up to 30 phone numbers.
About 6 -7 years ago my son had $400 vanish from his bank account. The bank had received a withdrawal notice from a California company. The bank said that they would "investigate" and a police report was filed. Two weeks later another $400 was withdrawn. The bank responded that their hands were tied. In their words my son's statement that this was not a valid charge was insufficient as the withdrawing company had all his information. Two weeks later a third attempt to withdraw $400 was attempted but my son had removed his money from the account. The bank responded by charging my son $32 for "insufficient funds" and to make things even sweeter they (bank) would not close the account with a withdrawl pending

Last edited:
These people just will not take 'no' for an answer...
We had a spate of cold callers demanding information at the door about power providers etc etc.
I let the dogs out the side door to shepherd them off the premises.
The 2 labradors are soft dogs but they do NOT like people annoying us...:)

In general #1 with caller ID I simply do not answer the phone if I do not know the caller. Computers which call phone numbers in sequence register phones that answer. In that manner they know they have a valid number and will also sell that information. #2 persistant unidentified callers get blocked. My house phone allows me to block up to 30 phone numbers.
About 6 -7 years ago my son had $400 vanish from his bank account. The bank had received a withdrawal notice from a California company. The bank said that they would "investigate" and a police report was filed. Two weeks later another $400 was withdrawn. The bank responded that their hands were tied. In their words my son's statement that this was not a valid charge was insufficient as the withdrawing company had all his information. Two weeks later a third attempt to withdraw $400 was attempted but my son had removed his money from the account. The bank responded by charging my son $32 for "insufficient funds" and to make things even sweeter they (bank) would not close the account with a withdrawl pending

Want the number for the Attorney General?

When the friendly Microsoft people call us, the ID doesn't come up. And, because we work from home, we don't really have the luxury of being able to pick and choose when we answer the phone.
However, I do have a very loud whistle sitting next to the phone...

i usually get emails i won some lotto in denmark....belgium or the uk. then there is the desparate plea from the nigerian princess whose father was assassinated and she needs someone to act as guardian for her 20some million dollars and an aquaintance gave her my email ( bet you didnt know i was that internationally known as a good guy did you ). for being such a help to her she will give me 1/3 of her wealth....how can i go wrong? but the all time best are sites that mirror banks, credit card companies...investment houses....and they contact you and tell you they are doing a mass change over you and you must re-enter your information so that your bank account will not be closed. the sites do look almost exactly like the real bank site but the address is off <<<< a dead give away. plus the bank will never make you do that outside of the office....so many scams... so many suckers greedy enough to bite on them i guess or they would stop.

Matt, we/he tried everything but it came down to no proof and the States Att would not push a case into Calif

Wow, that is exactly the opposite to what our banks response was.
We get a phone call from the bank saying that there has been some suspicious activity on our account, and were we at such and such a place. They cancelled our cards, and got new ones to us within 3 days. and reversed all the bad transactions.

Got so many Indian calls to repair my infected computer that we had our land line disconnected and just use cell phones!

Showed them eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're a PITA.
In the UK, relatively recent legislation means claims can be made for past accidents,

Yes, and it's your insurance company that sells on the fact that you have made a claim to the ambulance chasers.
SWMBO's car was written off last year. It was parked on the road as her spot on the drive was taken by her brother and an idiot drove into it (at some speed) shunting it 45' down the road and onto the pavement.
Luckily said idiot was also okay.
Nobody was in her car but we still get phone calls about it suggesting we make a claim for personal injury, presumably acquired whilst sitting in the kitchen drinking tea and due to jumping up when we heard a very loud bang!
It's ridiculous, and we wonder why our premiums keep going up.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back