TF-51H Mustang pictures request (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
Hello, I'm looking for vintage or period photos of a very specific type of airplane,
It is the two seat mod of a F-51H, formally the P-51H, called the TF-51H.

I found crash site of TF-51H s/n 44-64711 Mustang

P-51H-10-NA s/n 44-64711
Date of manufacture 30 Nov 1945
Engine V-1650-9 serial #31605
*Converted to TF-51H.
1947 assigned to the 56th Fighter Interceptor Wing, 56th Fighter Interceptor group, 63rd fighter interceptor squadron Oscoda Michigna USA
Crashed 6/26/1951: Crashed near Oscoda AFB, MI due to engine failure. Pilot Captain Harold Howard Buth was killed.

No need for modern pictures of TF-51H, I already have those.

There is a picture of 64711 in "Air Force Legends Number 209" booklet titled "North American P-51H Mustang" by David McLaren. Publication date = 2000.

The image on page 62 it is still a single seat aircraft. Full side image stating it belonged to 63nd FS.

I did a quick scan of the book I have and did not see any TF-51s pictured.

Tony

TF-51Hs were never repeat NEVER modified to two-seaters. The TF- designation was given them once their armament had been removed, and they were assigned to Air Training Command units - chiefly Tyndall AFB and the 3625th Flying Training Wing, where they were used by seasoned pilots (not students) to fly as "interceptors" against "enemy" A-26s for training Air Defense Command radar intercept controllers. Once the jet age was in full swing, the TF-51Hs & A-26s were replaced by T-33s. The T-birds also served as targets for F-86D, F-89 & F-94 flight crews in training as well.

The TF-51D was a TEMCO conversion of a basic "D" model - I think less than a dozen were actually built - and Tyndall also had a couple of these on the roster as well. Obviously there are several more TF's running around on the warbird circuit these days, but I think only one or two of these are actually original TEMCO aircraft.

I hope that helps - my father was a crew chief on TF-51Hs at Tyndall, and later on T-33s as well.

Hey Gerry,
How long have you been on this forum? Are you working or physical distancing these days?

Ardell

Mr. Asher,
Thank you for sharing with us that insight on the TF-51's. I'm in the process of modeling a super detailed Guillow's P-51D & I'm learning more about that plane everyday. You can see my on-going build thread of the Mustang. I'm in my 70's & only using household tools but I'd like to think I'm doing fairly well. Your input would be valued.

Tony PM sent,
Could you please scan the picture of 64711 in "Air Force Legends Number 209" booklet titled "North American P-51H Mustang page 62
That is the exact aircraft that I'm looking for. I have discovered the wreckage for that plane.

Wreckage Found of a plane in a Michigan swamp. The effort to identify it took many hours of research and years but was ultimately successful.
Please read about the long process and the lessons learned.
Everyone likes a good mystery, and this one involves a great plane!
You can read the Full story on this web site under crashesMichigan Crash Site Mystery

Last edited:
I found 2 TF-51H pictured in the booklet I referenced above. They are on page 99.

Both were in service with MATS. 44-64673 and 44-64688. They were used as 'proficiency trainers' for pilots to maintain flight status. Both are single seaters.

Tony

See posting from MJFUR. Seems you can download the booklet and get the image yourself.

"Tony PM sent,
Could you please scan the picture of 64711 in "Air Force Legends Number 209" booklet titled "North American P-51H Mustang page 62
That is the exact aircraft that I'm looking for. I have discovered the wreckage for that plane."

Kind of illegal to download a copywritten book
I sent an email to the author of the book requesting permission to use the photo before I have the story published and make any profit off it. And I did give the author credit for the photo I just posted the story on the web for now for informational purposes. I'm trying to do the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back