The B-36 Over Germany (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

V-1710

Airman 1st Class
Nov 8, 2005
One of the prime reasons the B-36 was developed in the first place was to bomb Germany from U.S. east coast bases in the event England fell. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Howver, had the B-36 been used over Germany, how well would it have faired? I think that it would have enjoyed a great degree of operational immunity, even if significant numbers of Me-262's were fielded against it. Why? Hard to believe, but I think the B-36 would have been easily able to OUTMANEUVER an Me-262. And, the B-36 proved capably of this fete against not only the F-80C, but also the F-84 and F-86A. As hard is this is to believe, it is easy to understand when you consider the B-36's relativily light wing loading compared to the high wind loading of the early jets. Above 43,000 ft., many of these early jets were very close to stall when flying at their top speed. Turn and you loose air speed. B-36 pilots could loose their persuers by simply making gentle turns at these altitudes, and this was done on numerous occasions in mock combat over the U.S. in the early 50's. It really wasn't until the Navy introduced the McDonnel F2H Banshee that there was a fighter that could actually intercept the B-36 at the altitudes it operated at (possibly the MiG-17 as well).

One of the prime reasons the B-36 was developed in the first place was to bomb Germany from U.S. east coast bases in the event England fell. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Howver, had the B-36 been used over Germany, how well would it have faired? I think that it would have enjoyed a great degree of operational immunity, even if significant numbers of Me-262's were fielded against it. Why? Hard to believe, but I think the B-36 would have been easily able to OUTMANEUVER an Me-262. And, the B-36 proved capably of this fete against not only the F-80C, but also the F-84 and F-86A. As hard is this is to believe, it is easy to understand when you consider the B-36's relativily light wing loading compared to the high wind loading of the early jets. Above 43,000 ft., many of these early jets were very close to stall when flying at their top speed. Turn and you loose air speed. B-36 pilots could loose their persuers by simply making gentle turns at these altitudes, and this was done on numerous occasions in mock combat over the U.S. in the early 50's. It really wasn't until the Navy introduced the McDonnel F2H Banshee that there was a fighter that could actually intercept the B-36 at the altitudes it operated at (possibly the MiG-17 as well).

A normal -262A would have little chances up there but the -262C could down them potentially, as the Go-229A with it´s even lower wingload or any plane equipped with a Ruhrstahl X4....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back