The Bad Penny Returnith

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
Good News or not so good depending upon your point of view: I'm still on this side of the grass.
The move has been a text book case of Murphy's Law in action. Closed on May 12th , took possession on May 26th. Most moving companies quoted prices of $9000 – $10,000 for a total move. They charge for every box, piece of tape, bubble wrap they use (the 55in TV box was $150) and then charge to haul the stuff away after the move. So we moved everything we could by ourselves using my motorcycle trailer. We filled it to the top, drove down to the new house (12hrs), unloaded (one day) and drove back for another load. Did that 9 times. The moving company was supposed to pick up the big stuff by May 30th, but they canceled twice because of overbooking. They finally picked up on June 11th and set a delivery date of June 13th to the 19th. Called to say they would arrive on the 17th, canceled because of problems with the truck, and finally arrived on the 18th in a full sized tractor/trailer moving van which was impossible to back into our driveway from the narrow ditch lined country road out front. One man and his three sons, one of whom was about 9yo made the entire delivery. They broke the leg off my oak dresser and took a good sized gouge from one of my display cases. Called the company offices and they are suppose to email claim forms, still waiting. Anyone thinking of moving, do not use National Van Lines.
Fishing boat proved to have a broken hose somewhere in the live-well plumbing and came within a inch of sinking at the dock so that is being repaired.
Cable company finally got out to the house on June 20th. The installer proceeded to short-circuit the entire basement breaker while installing an amp for the cable TV. He then made an extension cord out of coaxial cable which now runs across the basement. His "boss" is supposed to come out and repair the circuit "sometime". Still waiting on that but I do have TV.
Wildlife includes: Teenage Mutant deer who think birdfeeders are deerfeeders and my bushes (imported from Joliet) are desert, armadillos who dig up the front yard, copperheads and moccasins who love the back yard, and finally scorpions that take over the lower patio at night. I LOVE IT!!!!
1. Front of house
2. Back
3. View of Bull Shoals from rear deck
4. Dock (Pontoon came with house)
5. Venison Veal
6. Doe a salt block
7. Young Buck in velvet
8. Thinks he's a bird

Attachments

• P1010886.JPG
    P1010886.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 247
  • P1010882.JPG
    P1010882.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 234
  • P1010888.JPG
    P1010888.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 241
  • P1010878.JPG
    P1010878.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 272
  • P1020031.JPG
    P1020031.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 242
  • P1020035.JPG
    P1020035.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 245
  • P1020036.JPG
    P1020036.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 247
  • P1020040.JPG
    P1020040.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 256
  • P1020042.JPG
    P1020042.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
"No plan ever survives contact with the enemy". Glad to hear yer alive and well (ish), Mike! I'd start escalating those claims calls to higher and higher authorities, you finally either (a) get someone who can make decisions and get things straightened out, or (2) get put on their blocked-call list. Either way, you'll make an impression!

BTW...VERY nice lookin house!

Many thanks, missed you guys, sort of. Daytime temps have been over 95F and one days was 111F, that's air temp in the shade NOT heat index. been getting up at 6am to do any outside work when the temp is down to 80F.
Took one look and fell in love with the place. If you are going to be in the area let me know. There are 3 beedrooms and 3600 sq ft so plenty of room. The lake is 85miles long

Good to see you back sir. Oh, I wouldn't go to your moving thread:lol: it's been hi-jacked.:lol: Hope you can get all the kinks worked out. Sounds like you got your hands full with the movers, hooker uppers and what not. Bang a few heads around.

Many thanks, missed you guys, sort of. Daytime temps have been over 95F and one days was 111F, that's air temp in the shade NOT heat index. been getting up at 6am to do any outside work when the temp is down to 80F.
Took one look and fell in love with the place. If you are going to be in the area let me know. There are 3 beedrooms and 3600 sq ft so plenty of room. The lake is 85miles long

How could you NOT miss me?

After accumulating "STUFF" for 30+ years, then trying to move it, and trying to find a place for it plus taking care of the new place it's hard to find time to scratch, but there is a light ahead somewhere
Matt, yes it is. Dam was built in 1946 across the White river and contains 10 hydroelectric generators. Lake levels reached 696 ft above sea level last month which is a record level for the lake and the spillways were opened for the first time in 3 years. Water is usually released from the bottom and runs about 33F so the river is cold, ideal for trout so there is some fantastic trout fishing just down from the Dam

Attachments

• MO-BullShoals.jpg
    MO-BullShoals.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Only 3 bedrooms??? Looks like it should have 6 with 3 1/2 baths!! Must be pretty spaceous rooms!

Glad to see you're back.

Oh, and I have a bone to pick with you. :) (hint: Hows the Doberman?) :)

Njaco, My girl Cheyne
One of the bedrooms is my computer room so really 3 bedrooms upstairs with 2 1/2 bathrooms and one bedroom downstairs with a full bathroom

Attachments

• P1010664.jpg
    P1010664.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back