The Battle of the Scheldt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

trackend

Chief Master Sergeant
Dec 20, 2003
Ipswich, Suffolk
I thought I would put this link on as it is an action has always tended to be overshadowed by the D-Day landings as it occurred in October-November of 1944 only 4 months after overlord.

The approaches too Antwerp (a vital deep water port) required the Islands of the Beverland area to be cleared these where defended by thousands of German troops and six heavy artillery batteries the allied force was made up of Canadian,Polish, and British units.
It proved to be a very costly engagement the allies suffering some 12,000 casualties.

http://www.mod.uk/linked_files/aboutus/history/scheldt_walcheren60.pdf

And it could have been taken in August with no resistance but Allied commanders stick too closely to objectives and never go beyond them when the oppurtunity is present. :rolleyes:

I, of course, did know about the the Battle of the Schledt and I also know that when Antwerp was taken originally they could have moved off on to the Scheldt and taken the islands with no resistance!

Yep. The Canadians knew that from day one, as everyone else did, and the Canadian generals tried to persuade Montgomery of that to absolutely no avail. He was more interested in competing with Patton. That's why Monty is "less than revered".

Monty was preoccupied with his big push that resulted in the diasaster at Arnhem.

The capture of the port and the waterway to the port would have relieved the long road supples had to travel.

Monty screwed up big time.

Patton was an asshole and no better at tactics than Montgomery. There he was slugging away at the German flank with absolutely no thought whatsoever, just throwing in man and machine like he belonged to the Red Army or something.

Operation Market Garden would have worked in August also but all the Allies were too slow. Alexander was the best Allied commander in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back