The Boneyard (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

<simon>

Airman 1st Class
Jan 24, 2008
Heyfield, Victoria
The other day I recieved an email with pictures of The Boneyard, where the third largest air force in the world in kept, in case of war.

These photos are fascinating to look at, even though i'm sure everyone has seen them before.

Anyone else got 'Boneyard' photos? I would love to see them!

Cheers
Simon

Attachments

• b1.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 521
  • b2.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 533
  • b3.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 478
  • b4.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 490
  • b5.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 445
I wonder how many of those airplanes are still in one piece ? Seems I saw a
History Channel show where they were cutting them up so the Russian
satellites could see we were complying with the arms reduction agreement.

In the 1990s, in accordance with the START I treaty, AMARG was tasked with eliminating 365 B-52 bombers. The progress of this task was to be verified by Russia via satellite and first-person inspection at the AMARG facility. Initially, the B-52s were chopped into pieces with a 13,000-pound guillotine. Later on, the tool of choice became K-12 rescue saws. This more precise technique afforded AMARG with salvageable spare parts. [Wiki]

Charles

the third largest air force in the world in kept, in case of war.

I wouldn't say they are kept there in case of war. It's not like a state of readiness is maintained and crews are ready to take the "Worlds third largest" airforce to the air. It's more of a parts repository and used plane lot.

Does anyone have a list of what they have out there? Wondering if there are any Skyhawks left? Always thought it was nice looking plane.

Charles - it's actually AMARC - ;)

I've been there once - totally awesome site seeing all those aircraft. I wish I had about 3 days just to wonder through the place. When I worked for Flight Systems the F-4s we droned came from there.

Bloody waste of good aircraft if you ask me!

The email I got stated they were kept in a state of readiness, and that factory fresh fighters and bombers were sent there for storage.

I take it that is not exactly correct?

I know that when the RAAF pranged one of their F-111's they went 'shopping' in the US for one of American's old F-111s. Maybe they got that from the Boneyard?

Apparently there is also a civilian 'Boneyard' where all the old airliners are sent.

I've seen the civilian one before, I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to Davis-Monthan due to the perfect climate. It's filled with airliners that had reached their maximum airframe hours I think.

Bloody waste of good aircraft if you ask me!

The email I got stated they were kept in a state of readiness, and that factory fresh fighters and bombers were sent there for storage.

I take it that is not exactly correct?

I know that when the RAAF pranged one of their F-111's they went 'shopping' in the US for one of American's old F-111s. Maybe they got that from the Boneyard?

Apparently there is also a civilian 'Boneyard' where all the old airliners are sent.
Some are flyable storage and some are there to be scrapped and in reality not a waste of aircraft. They are stored there to save money. The air force or navy will determine how much aircraft are actually needed to complete the mission. Excess aircraft cost money to maintain and operate so they are stored. Also aircraft that had a lot of flight hours quickly placed on its airframe many be sent to AMARC and then pulled out when the rest of the fleet matches its time.

Far from a waste of money, you're actually conserving resources.

More than likely the RAAF are getting F-111 spares that cannot be locally made from AMARC.

There are several civilian boneyards - I used to work at one. Mojave Ca., Victorville, Ca., and Kingman Az. are the bigger ones - there's at least several more.

This is what Mojave looked like when I worked there - since then there's a lot less aircraft.

mojave.jpg

Back in the '70s, a disgruntled sailor burnt down the hangar that housed 13 of our Grumman trackers in the RAN. They were replaced at very low cost with Grummans taken from that place. Its a handy place, but i didnt know that some a/c are kept in a ready state.....

Thanks for the insight Flyboy. One question, when aircraft get 'scapped' do parts get overhauled and re-used or melted down into new parts?

parsifal, did you work on the Trackers?
I've recently did work experience at West Sale Aerodrome, where 11 Grumman Trackers are stored.
Spent a lot of time inside them getting a 'feel' for the cockpit!

Thanks for the insight Flyboy. One question, when aircraft get 'scapped' do parts get overhauled and re-used or melted down into new parts?

parsifal, did you work on the Trackers?
I've recently did work experience at West Sale Aerodrome, where 11 Grumman Trackers are stored.
Spent a lot of time inside them getting a 'feel' for the cockpit!

Wanted to, but didnt make it to aircrew. I worked with them, as a trainee PWO

This is what Mojave looked like when I worked there - since then there's a lot less aircraft.
]

Probably will start growing again with the airlines predicting they will cut flights going into the fall. Off to storage some of them will go.

The other day I recieved an email with pictures of The Boneyard, where the third largest air force in the world in kept, in case of war.

These photos are fascinating to look at, even though i'm sure everyone has seen them before.

Anyone else got 'Boneyard' photos? I would love to see them!

Cheers
Simon

omg that is a plie of planes biger then the 8th airforce

.More than likely the RAAF are getting F-111 spares that cannot be locally made from AMARC.

Joe there was one F-111G taken from AMARC in about '94 which was refurbished and put back into service by the RAAF. It was A8-272 and was named "Boneyard Wrangler". I believe it is now retired and is going to be put on display in the RAAF museum.

photo source - Welcome to ADF Serials

Attachments

• GPH_3A8_272a.jpg
    GPH_3A8_272a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 286

Users who are viewing this thread

Back