The English greatest weapon....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
I'm reading 'Double Cross' about the double agent spies and the deceptions leading up to D Day.
There is one remark that has got me thinking...
Popov ( agent Tricycle) wrote that the 'English's greatest weapon is to remain human and that will defeat Hitler...'

I don't quite understand the remark I have to admit.
What do you guys make of it?

Cheers
John

Quite clear, IMHO. :)

Britain has possessed multiple "strengths" historically -- ranging from a natural mote (the Channel) to a strong tradition of seamanship, to a historical propensity to independent thinking (Magna Carta to Protestantism to Adam Smith - capitalism). But Britain rarely underestimated her enemies, and never swallowed her own propaganda. Britain has been ruthless when need be (Cromwell, Colodan [Highland Clearances], Boer War, but never lost sight of realism. It is that foundation that prevented the English from descending into their own mythology the way (Nazi) Germany did, or France under Napoleon and after. America teeters on the brink of believing their own mythology ... to their peril.

MM

Last edited:
When germany crossed into russia a lot of the border areas welcomed the germans as liberators, the actions of the gauleiter (military govenors ) soon changed that .

Treating people humanely (remaining human ) works long term the iron fist backed by atrocities works short term but fails long term. Inhumane dictators come and ultimately go (think idi amin saddem hussein ect )

Uncle joe lasted but the wall came down the vassal states are breaking free.
Ya gotta think long term basic humanity always rears it ugly head.

Being Human does not necessarily mean humanity.

Putting aside the quote for a bit, what were the indgredients for the British (nee allied) victory?

In 1940, the British had virtually nothing going for them. Defeated, stripped of allies, facing a ruthless enemy with friends and vastly stronger than herself. Everyone, including Hitler expected them to sue for peace. They didnt. What do you do with an enemy that you cant actually get at, and who refuses to do the logical thing......you do nothing because thats all you can do. Germany in 1940 was the schoolyard bully. Britain was the runty little bespectacled kid who stood up and said "your a bully, and Im not going to take it from you....shove off !!!" For a while that bully got red faced huffed and puffed for a while, gathered up his sycophantic friends, but eventually went and picked a fight with the big dumb kid two classes older than him....because thats the way that german kid was wired. throughout his short life the German kid had always been a bully. his grandfathers had learnt how to be a bully way back from his neighbour down the street, Napoleon the puffed up french bully.

Over the years there had been members of the John Bull family who had also been bullies, like the time they had all travelled to Africa to pick on a cheeky little family member living in southern Africa. But for recent history except for the black nonwhite kids down the street, John Bull family had been a pretty decent, human bunch who liked nice quiet sunday lunches and tried to get along a best they could with their famillies and neighbours.

I think the quote goes to those qualities.....

".... John Bull family had been a pretty decent, human bunch who liked nice quiet sunday lunches and tried to get along a best they could with their famillies and neighbours."

Except when they drink and go abroad for football matches or hols in Spain .... :)

MM

The Portugese Police answer to the problem of public drunkeness and violence in international pig's bladder kicking contests was to ignore all use and supply of weed on the principle that the stoned just can't be bothered to cause trouble. Just lie about and spend fortunes on fast food.

Except when they drink and go abroad for football matches or hols in Spain ....

True, But not just the British...the Dutch, Germans and Poles all like a punch up.
The Poles especially like a post football fight with the Germans...I cannot image why.

Pissed British with a inflatable Spitfire hat and singing 633 Squadron, jumping io the local fountain and swilling the local brew are usually tolerated by the local Police as they know no real harm is meant.

The French Canadians I have come across are a touchy bunch. Must be the water...

The Anglo-Saxons are a bellicose race wherever they are found. They just kid themselves that they are not. I would cite the last two thousand years or so of world history to back this up.
Cheers
Steve.....who is one in the broadest modern sense.

My brother has traced our family history as far back as possible.
Like most southern English our forefathers came from France, Denmark with a bit of Jewish thrown in for good measure. Although my mother would never have accepted that.
No Celtic blood in my veins just, what has become the English 'mix'
Cheers
John

The Anglo-Saxons are a bellicose race wherever they are found. They just kid themselves that they are not. I would cite the last two thousand years or so of world history to back this up.
Cheers
Steve.....who is one in the broadest modern sense.

You're only looking at that from an Anglo-Saxon perspective.

The tribal wars in Africa and the dynasty wars in Asia also are bloody and far-reaching across history.

You are absolutely correct,but in the context of the original question the English are neither Asian nor African.
Anyway everybody knows our best invention was the longbow......oh, hang on a minute,that was the Welsh :)
Cheers
Steve

Except when they drink and go abroad for football matches or hols in Spain ....

True, But not just the British...the Dutch, Germans and Poles all like a punch up.
The Poles especially like a post football fight with the Germans...I cannot image why.

Pissed British with a inflatable Spitfire hat and singing 633 Squadron, jumping io the local fountain and swilling the local brew are usually tolerated by the local Police as they know no real harm is meant.

The French Canadians I have come across are a touchy bunch. Must be the water...

Oh come on now. You know British Football
Hooligans are the worst! :lol:

World reknown. That is why extra police are called in during English matches the world cup. I clearly remember my home town getting trashed by British Hooligans in the 2006 World Cup. It even made the international news.

Other than that great bunch of lads...:D

You're only looking at that from an Anglo-Saxon perspective.

The tribal wars in Africa and the dynasty wars in Asia also are bloody and far-reaching across history.

when ever you get 2 groups of people living within a thousand miles of each other they will sooner or later commence beating the tar out of each other. it doesnt matter if they are the same race, religion, etc or not. the dispute will be anything from encroachment of hunting grounds, watering holes, or a go ahead point on a scoreboard...due to a bad call by an official that favors ( probably paid off by ) the other team...the rat bastard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back