The ETO's finest single engined ground attack aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS

Staff Sergeant
Feb 23, 2005
Contenders to be drawn from Russia, Germany, Italy, England and the U.S.

Which country fielded the best single engined ground attack plane* (that saw at least 6 months of significant combat before the end of the war) and what was that plane?

*This question is not of which aircraft had the most significant impact on the war but of which aircraft that saw at least 6 months of significant combat was the hands down best ground pounder.

Sturmovik wasn't so good. In fact it was very vulnerable. One precise hit on the big radiator under the belly and Il2 was a pile of burned metal lying in the vast fields of Western Russia.

Iskandar Taib said:
No one's mentioned the Stormovik yet?

Well, because they did not fly in the Europian Theatre of Operations. ;)

Thread title The ETO's finest single engined ground attack aircraft

OK, let's count Russia's aerial conflicts against Germany as part of the ETO. (What Theatre is that anyway?)

DAVIDICUS said:
OK, let's count Russia's aerial conflicts against Germany as part of the ETO. (What Theatre is that anyway?)

Yes put the EF into the mix.

Lanc, the ETO was France, Belgium, Holland, Norway, Luxenburg and Germany.

Other ares of the globe used SWP, SEA, MTO, SPA, CPA, POA, NPA.

Hmmm, well the Fw-190 met it's match in both Russia against the Yaks and in the ETO with the P-51, so I reckon that although the Typhoon / Tempests were excellent, it should really go to the P-47, as it's a radial, it had a reasonable range, no dispute with the firepower, although cannons are cannons, but it could certainly deliver ordinance, and with great speed...yep, definately the Thunderbolt here.......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._161.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._161.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 762
the lancaster kicks ass said:
to me the European Theatre of Operations should include both the eastern and western fronts anyway...........

Definitely, it is a part of ETO sensu largo :)

The eastern theater was not part of the ETO. In German it would be the Ost front not Reich Defence. there is a big difference. Eastern Front would be the corresponding name in English.........

by the way the Fw's never met their match to the Yaks, the Fw's still being superior with superior flying skills by the German pilots

Well I was wondering about that, Erich....I have a great fondness for the Fw-190A's....
I'm presently reading this article on the Russian Yaks, [Air International Nov. 1975], and they claim the Yak-3 first saw combat on the tail-end of Operation Zitadelle, the pilots claiming a clear superiority over both the Bf-109G and Fw-190A at altitudes below 19,685 ft [6,000m]....They go on to say'' that weighing 5,864 lb, the Yak-3 possessed a specific wing loading of 36.66lb/sq ft and a power loading of 4.83 lb/hp. At a height of 3,280 ft, it could complete a full 360 degree combat turn in 18.5 secs while gaining 3,940 ft in altitude; it's initial climb rate was 3,800 ft/min and could attain an altitude of 16,405 ft in 4.1 mins; it was exceptionally light on the ailerons and capable of a remarkable roll rate; light stick pressure produced fast and accurate snap rolls and all manoeuvres were performed precisely and smoothly...etc...etc....an ideal fighter for close-in, high-g manoeuvring combat and it's agility was second to none''........
Now all I've read previously indicates the Fw-190A's were THE rate-of-roll fighter with great performance to way above the Yaks low ceiling.....They did go on to say the Yaks were a handful taking-off and landing, with inexperienced pilots commonly ground-looping them.
All I can think of was they probably had a helluva lot more Yaks than Fw's, and it was towards the end of a big campaign....I'm not that up-to-speed on Russian aircraft and have been browsing to learn more, so I was quite surprised to read this....I would happily put the Fw-190 in with the Thunderbolt, Typhoon/Tempest/ category, it's certainly earned it......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._111.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._111.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 716
Erich said:
by the way the Fw's never met their match to the Yaks, the Fw's still being superior with superior flying skills by the German pilots

It wasn't that simple. majority of the yaks delivered to the combat units, but with exception of very late yaks3 were of, how to say it in the mildest way, very medium quality. Another problem is that it was hardly possible to find two same Yaks. One was faster, another turned left better, another was better in diving. But as I said this doesn't refer to Yaks 3 which were quite good fighters.
Pilot training is another question...

Im a lover of the Tiffy myself but thats more because I have spoken to some fellas who as Sqauddies saw them in action (one described Tigers being decapitated even in hull down sand bagged positions) than to do with its technical specs so I will listen to you guys with interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back