The future they promised us, and other fun stuff

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

proton45

Senior Airman
Jan 30, 2007
Massachusetts
I've been having fun wondering through this web site...

Modern Mechanix

If it has been posted before, then I'm sorry for the double post. I have been having a blast looking through all the old articles, and the fantastic illustrations...they even have a "war" topic.

med_peace_or_else_0.jpg
med_peace_or_else_1.jpg

med_jap_flying_bomb_0.jpg
med_jap_flying_bomb_1.jpg

med_death_rays.jpg

med_helicopter_cavalry_0.jpg
med_helicopter_cavalry_1.jpg

The topic caledl "UselessTech" is pretty funny...

med_tiny_grand_piano.jpg

med_egg_beater_plane.jpg

I'm sorry if you find this sort of thing a waste of time...but I kind'a get a kick out of this stuff!!!:D

They should have gone ahead with the helicopter cavalry, that just looks fun

I don't know how the world has managed without a tiny grand piano, think where we'd be now...

They should have gone ahead with the helicopter cavalry, that just looks fun

I don't know how the world has managed without a tiny grand piano, think where we'd be now...

If you look a little closer, you'll see that we did have the nano-grand piano. Which like every other revolutionary technological breakthrough, was immediately snapped up and hidden away by the Masonic Lodge-Oil company conspiracy...

That's the real reason we're not zipping around in inexpensive solar powered flying cars, dammit!

JL

The Helicopter cavalry illustration looks like an amusement park ride!. :evil4: But interestingly, today there is the Air Cav, who come in via helicopter. While not as amusing as the drawing, the concept was right.

A corporation I was working for was manufacturing 3-dimensional acceleration sensor for jet fighter and space satellite. One day, the company had big order for Segway(R) to invest big money for new production line. Directors dreamed rose color future.

Segway(R) did not comply with our traffic rules to sell.
Also, production delayed becaused of unexpectedly larger production loss.
Also, another bike maker introduced similar handy bike which cleared the rules.
Result. The company was unable to get any profit till I quit six years ago though I do not know how it is now.

My impression -
No fantasy, no advance.

Thanks for nice thread, proton45!

The Helicopter cavalry illustration looks like an amusement park ride!. :evil4: But interestingly, today there is the Air Cav, who come in via helicopter. While not as amusing as the drawing, the concept was right.

Yeah but they better give me something better than that .45 the one guy has!

What, a few grenades, a .45 and a saber (yep...they're wearing artillery sabers) won't work for ya'?

Where's your sense of adventure?? That is the cavalry, after all! :evil4:

It kind of reminds me of "GI Joe" adventures I had as a kid...does anyone remember Joe before the "PC" police got to him? :bazooka::crybaby::rightfighter5:

med_violence_0.jpg
med_violence_1.jpg

Tracks That Violence Leaves

Are Americans becoming addicted to violence? And if so, does the violence that can be seen daily on television, for instance, contribute to the addiction? Dr. Victor Bailey Cline, a University of Utah clinical psychologist, has started a series of experiments which seem to him to point to a definite affirmative conclusion. In a one-seat theater in his Salt Lake City laboratory, Dr. Cline, left, and an associate, Dr. John Atzet, show motion pictures of kinds and degrees of violence to subjects hung with sensors that produce a physiograph (left) of their responses to what is appearing on the screen. Stylus tracings record, from top, respiration, skin moisture and two channels of heartbeat rate. Dr. Cline says that children who have watched television the most show the least response to episodes of violence. From this he has drawn some preliminary conclusions: we are creating violence addicts; the acts of violence the average child sees every 14 minutes in the 15 to 20 hours of TV he watches every week have already desensitized many of them. Beyond that, Dr. Cline believes these acts may become models which children will later imitate in real life. "I am convinced," he says in this connection, "that any U.S. soldiers who shot down Vietnamese women and children at Mylai had been desensitized."

Last edited:
I had a couple G.I. Joe "action figures" when I was a kid. They were as tall as my sister's Barbie (oh youl knew that was coming, huh?) and they didn't have beards or hair, it was painted on. I had the U.S. G.I. Joe and a German soldier with all the accessories (helmets, rifles, pistols plus extra gear).

My friend had a couple G.I. Joes and a Japanese soldier AND a freakin' Jeep! (I hated him)

I can't think of any of my friends that didn't have at least one G.I. Joe...

I had a couple G.I. Joe "action figures" when I was a kid. They were as tall as my sister's Barbie (oh youl knew that was coming, huh?) and they didn't have beards or hair, it was painted on. I had the U.S. G.I. Joe and a German soldier with all the accessories (helmets, rifles, pistols plus extra gear).

My friend had a couple G.I. Joes and a Japanese soldier AND a freakin' Jeep! (I hated him)

I can't think of any of my friends that didn't have at least one G.I. Joe...

Ya, they where the thing in the late 60's...I had a couple of the painted hair/ hand molded in the shooting grip GI Joe's, and I had a German a Japanese soldier too. I didn't have the Jeep...but I always wanted the space capsule.

Simpler times...:rolleyes:

We had Action Man, same thing as GI Joe, real hair, grippy rubber hands, eagle eyes! All the accessories were WW2, I had german uniforms for mine. My favourite being the panzer captains.

Action+Man+Panzer+Uniform.jpg

My mates were always the Allies, although one of them had all sorts of stuff on his figures, different boots, jackets, helmets and weapons, I think they were romanian partisans!

The modern Action Man I see in the toy shops now is some sort of save-the-planet superhero.

While searching online for some pics of the old Action Man stuff, I found this pic. :evil4:

action-man-707047.jpg

If I was a wealthier man I might buy something like this, Operation Pegasus Bridge just for the fun. The detail on the little bits is amazing...

Does anyone know what kind of "GI Joe" they had in South Africa? I had neighbors that where from S.Africa and they gave me a bunch of stuff one year (their son didn't play with them anymore)...I remember a lot of Bren guns and Brit style helmets.

GIJoeOriginalLineup.jpg

I have a couple of the first 2, never had a blondie one. Also have one of the ones with the fuzzy head.

I was at my parents the other week with my kids and my son came across my old GI Joes and all their stuff packed in official GI Joe foot lockers. He dressed up one like a "Ghost Buster", which I have to saw was pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back