The Goering Interrogation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

soulezoo

Senior Airman
Aug 20, 2014
Left coast
The contents of the article may or may not have been covered at some point in old threads here.

In the current (August 2015) issue of "Air Force Magazine" there is a very interesting article "The Goering Interrogation."

This occurs the day after VE and conducted by Spaatz and Vandenberg (also Patch, Curtis and Seversky among others). Goering appears to be quite frank and lucid on his observations. He discusses the importance of jets, both fighter and bomber, Hitler's interference, precision vs area bombing, fuel shortages, 4 engine bombers, and etc.

Of particular interest to me was the development of proximity fuses and his assessment of relative air force skill... "Well, the Russians are no good... Americans superior technically and in production... as for personnel, the English, German and American are equal as fighters in the air."

Of note to this forum that ends up in many "what if" scenarios, Goering was asked if he had to design the Luftwaffe again, what would be the first plane he would develop?

His response was the jet fighter then the jet bomber. Particularly Me262 and Me264. He also believed that the flying wing equipped with turbine in combination with the jet and propeller (turboprop?) was the airplane of the future.

Short article, but some really good stuff.

I'm not posting an online link as it requires membership to view.

The contents of the article may or may not have been covered at some point in old threads here.

In the current (August 2015) issue of "Air Force Magazine" there is a very interesting article "The Goering Interrogation."

This occurs the day after VE and conducted by Spaatz and Vandenberg (also Patch, Curtis and Seversky among others). Goering appears to be quite frank and lucid on his observations. He discusses the importance of jets, both fighter and bomber, Hitler's interference, precision vs area bombing, fuel shortages, 4 engine bombers, and etc.

Of particular interest to me was the development of proximity fuses and his assessment of relative air force skill... "Well, the Russians are no good... Americans superior technically and in production... as for personnel, the English, German and American are equal as fighters in the air."

Of note to this forum that ends up in many "what if" scenarios, Goering was asked if he had to design the Luftwaffe again, what would be the first plane he would develop?

His response was the jet fighter then the jet bomber. Particularly Me262 and Me264. He also believed that the flying wing equipped with turbine in combination with the jet and propeller (turboprop?) was the airplane of the future.

Short article, but some really good stuff.

I'm not posting an online link as it requires membership to view.

If you have the membership, would you mind screen capping the article and sharing?

I am afraid I only have the hardcopy and not access to the links.

Perhaps one of the other members here can do this.

I am afraid I only have the hardcopy and not access to the links.

Perhaps one of the other members here can do this.

The link above posted by bobbysocks works but doesn't contain the info I am referring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back