The Greatest Attack Aircraft of All Time... (1 Viewer)

The Greatest Attack Aircraft of All Time...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Difficult as the A10 is one of a kind, however I would go for the Jaguar. The A10 can only operate where the US have control of the air which to be fair the US has always had. The speed of the A10 would limit it in any other situation.
The Jaguar has fought wherever the RAF has fought and has never lost one to enemy fire (ground or air to air). The Indian Airforce has also used them and I don't think they have ever lost one to enemy fire as have the French who I think lost a couple in the first Gulf War. This must be close to a unique record for a GA plane, as most people recognise that GA is a very dangerous business.
There have been a number of stories over the years which will never be proved that Jaguars were used in the cold war for sorties across into East Germany and other soviet satellite states, again without loss.

The RAF planes on board sensors were well ahead of those carried on the A10 when it first came into service and it had a reputation for accuracy in bomb delivery that was second to none. Even the Nigerian Air Force won some bombing contests in the late 70's using the Jaguar, which is saying something. Did I hear someone say ex-pat pilots.

Clearly the Jaguar doesn't have a Gun like the A10 nor could it take the sort of battle damage that the A10 can.
For the first point the Aden wouldn't knock out a MBT but would have a better than average change of knocking out an APC.
For the second point, at the end of the day, none have been lost so it obviously has something going for it, even if its just more difficult to hit.

The A10 is an excellent aircraft but if I had to chose one for my airforce, it would be the Jaguar. It would give me more flexibility and options.

Its worth pointing out that the Indian Air Force who could choose almost any aircraft chose the Jaguar over everything for long range GA and are still building some under license. Its also worth mentioning that the first none US aircraft to take part in Red Flag exercises in Nevada were Jaguars and none were claimed by the defending forces (ground or air) until the fourth day, which is going some.

I would go the Jaguar as it also has the ability to defend itself. However for knocking out heavy armour I would go the A-10 Warthog. Or maybe a combined force of Jaguars and Warthogs with Jaguars knocking out air defences first so the Warthogs can work on any armoured targets. That would be best, a mixed force of Warthogs and Jaguars.

Since writing my previous posting I must make one amendment. One RAF Jaguar was shot down in Air to Air combat, believe it or not, by an RAF Phantom.
Please don't ask me how, but during simulated combat the Phantom was loaded with live Sidewinders not exercise missiles, and when the pilot pushed the button, off it went. The Jaguar pilot was able to eject and wasn't hurt.

I'd pick the Sepecat Jaguar too. It doesn't have the heavy punch against armor but has high speed and excellent low altitude performance. In over 1,200 sorties in the first Gulf War none were shot down and they delivered a lot of bombs accurately.

the Su-25 would have been a potentially good attacker, it had good performance and armor, well for an attacker

I'd have to agree on the A-10 also..........

The Jaguar and A10 seem to be two totally different aircraft for two different missions.

If I wanted to attack an airfield and get in and out as fast as possible, Id take the jag.

If I needed to orbit a battlefield and wait for calls from the ground troops to attack bunkers and small troop concentrations, Id take the A10

syscom3 said:
The Jaguar and A10 seem to be two totally different aircraft for two different missions.

If I wanted to attack an airfield and get in and out as fast as possible, Id take the jag.

If I needed to orbit a battlefield and wait for calls from the ground troops to attack bunkers and small troop concentrations, Id take the A10

Little different than choosing between an IL2 and a P47. Two different approaches for the same job.

syscom3 said:

I wouldn't say totally, during the first Gulf War the A-10 was used for long range CSAR, Scud hunting and even SEAD. The Jaguar can't take out tanks with it's two 30mm cannon, but it can destroy APCs and soft targets. They use different approaches to survive, the Jaguar flys low and fast and the A-10 uses it's manoeuverability.

syscom3 said:
But the A10's also fly low, although a lot slower.

I dont know of any A10 attacks on airfields or other heavily defended targets deep in Iraq.

I think in Desert Storm A-10s stayed above 10,000 feet, unless they were on attack runs, to avoid AA and SAMs. They also worked with F-4Gs to take out SAM sites with Mavericks and Mk 82s until they started taking loses. They were returned to the close air support mission when the ground war began.

The average Sam can reach to 10,000ft. We recieved many breafings on them when were in Iraq, we had to deal with the manpads every day and most of them can reach into the 10,000ft range. That is why in Iraq we fly low and fast.

I vote for the A-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back