The Joys of Humbrol ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Many of you will be well aware of my moaning about the current Humbrol paint quality, or lack of it, over the last couple of years. Well, it seems to be getting worse.
Having had some relatively recently purchased paints dry solid in the tin, I went out to replace these today, in order to finish the Bf109 for the current GB. Whilst I was at the LHS, I also replaced some other paints I'd run out of. One of these was Medium Sea Grey, for which I normally use Humbrol 129 Satin, but the shop was out of stock. The nearest, and a reasonable match, is the Matt version, Number 147, so I got that instead.
It took over twenty minutes of stirring to convert the solid lump of gum in the tin to something resembling paint, and the attached pic shows the result - three shades lighter than it bl**dy should be !
Another letter is about to go off to Hornby Products methinks !

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 016.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 016.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 158
I have a three word response.....White Ensign Colorcoats. I gave up on Humbrol a while ago.
Cheers
Steve

I'd love to use WEM paints, but the only enamels I can get locally are Humbrol, which I've used for almost 50 years. As with any other paint obtained by mail order/online, there's normally a minimum order, and of course there isn't the facility to get it more or less immediately.

I hate those tins, i can never be sure if they are really sealed.

Best paint i have found right now for me anyway is Vallejo acrylics.

Its expensive but worth every penny.

If you do go for mail order Terry, I'd try Model Master. Huge selection of colors, and wonderful paints. I've been using them for well over 20 years (probably closer to 30) and am very happy with them.

I've converted to MM from Humbrol. When I went back to the hobby I bought Humbrol, because that's what I had all those years ago, but I've had too many duff tins. Changed to MM, the paint quality is consistently good and the glass jars seal better, are easier to pour from, and can be recycled.

I also like the Tamiya range of enamels and prefer both of these brands over the Hu.

Cheers

Peter

I order my Colorcoats direct from White Ensign. There isn't a minimum order per se but it makes sense to order several at a time simply for the postage. WEM had a reputation for taking a while to deliver but they now have active stock levels on their much improved web site. I ordered half a dozen colours recently and they were with me within 48 hours.
Well matched colours that spray beautifully,can't say fairer than that.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be trying WEM and MM at some stage. The Vallejo acrylics are very good, but I'm not keen on acrylics - not enough versatility.

You can't go wrong with Model master, i also use it as its easier to get then Vallejo.

I usually end up with combinations on kits I make, a little of this or of that!

Yep, noticed SBX, and Model Hobbies I think. Also noticed it's mainly the greens which go off, along with matt white and a couple of others. I've 'gone through' three tins of matt white in the last two months, with all of them going hard before even 50% had been used !
On the other hand, I've got some original 'real' Humbrol paints which are around 30 years old, and still useable !

Funny you mention Humbrol satin 129, I' ve just used up an old tin and then bought a new one to spray my rather large 1/48 Hobbyboss Tomcat and it's a comletely different shade...aaaargh.
Now my Tomcat is in two shades and I can't respray certain areas.....double aaaargh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back