The last "prize money" given out by the USN

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
The USS Omaha (CL-4) and the German commerce raider Odenwald:

I was looking at information about the post WW1 light cruisers of this class and found this gem of a bit of trivia.

from wiki: USS Omaha (CL-4) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" .... Just prior to the US entry into World War II, on 6 November 1941, while on neutrality patrol with Somers in the mid-Atlantic near the Equator, Omaha sighted a vessel which aroused much suspicion by her actions. Refusing to satisfactorily identify herself, and taking evasive action, the stranger was ordered to heave to. She flew the American flag and carried the name Willmoto of Philadelphia on her stern.

As Omaha's crew dispatched a boarding party to a striken freighter, its crew took to lifeboats and hoisted a signal which indicated that the ship was sinking. When their party pulled alongside, they could hear explosions from within the hull, while one of the fleeing crewmen shouted "This is a German ship and she is sinking!" In short order, the men of Omaha - despite the extreme risk - salvaged the vessel, rendered her safe and had her underway for Puerto Rico. The "freighter", as it turned out, was the German commerce raider Odenwald.
Odenwald was taken to Puerto Rico. An admiralty court ruled that since the ship was illegally claiming American registration, there was sufficient grounds for confiscation. A legal case was started claiming that the crews of the two American ships had salvage rights because Odenwald's crew attempting to scuttle the ship was the equivalent of abandoning her. The court case - settled in 1947 - ruled the members of the boarding party and the prize crew were entitled to $3,000 apiece while all the other crewmen in Omaha and Somers were entitled to two months' pay and allowances. This was the last prize money awarded by the US Navy."

StrategyPage.com - Combat Information Center analysis, facts and figures about military conflicts and leaders

Yeah, Navy did away with prize money in the last century. Or, to put it another way, the Govt kept it for themselves. No booze and no prize money. That's what the early 1900s gave to the USN.

What a bummer.

A quick rundown of pricing according to this website: 1947 Prices

What Things Cost in 1947:
Car: $1,500
Gasoline: 23 cents/gal
House: $13,000
Bread: 12 cents/loaf
Milk: 80 cents/gal
Postage Stamp: 3 cents
Stock Market: 181
Average Annual Salary: $3,500
Minimum Wage: 40 cents per hour

The surprising one to me is milk at 80 cents a gallon. That's two hours worth of work to get one gallon of milk. :shock:
With the Federal minimum wage at $7.25 per hour it only takes 20 minutes to buy a gallon of milk now.
It would cost $14.50 a gallon to match the 1947 ratio. I'll bet the dairy farmers would love that. :lol:

Wheels

I find them prices hard to believe. Gas in CA in 1966 was about 30 cents! In 1969 I paid 19,500 for a three bedder. My '66 Malibu cost 2,700 and it had 600 worth of extras!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back