The Most Accurate Author/Researcher

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've been curious at who people believe is the most trusted author on military books? I've seen comments about Osprey Publishing is like Wiki but some authors appear to have done their research. So, while strolling through the book store/on-line, who would you comfortably buy a book written by?

Dr. Albert Price
Chris Shores
Uwe Feist
Eric Mombeek
Don Caldwell
Martin Caidin
John Weal

anybody else?

I would add Daniel Ford, he wrote Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942 which ala Chris Shores put the AVG's kill rates at a more realistic number.

Martin Caidin sprinkled some fiction into many of his books, just to add some flavor to them.

I've been curious at who people believe is the most trusted author on military books? I've seen comments about Osprey Publishing is like Wiki but some authors appear to have done their research. So, while strolling through the book store/on-line, who would you comfortably buy a book written by?

Dr. Albert Price
Anybody else?
His close friend, Dr Alfred Price... :)

I would add

Roger A Freeman
Jeff Ethell incl his collaborative works with Joe Christy
Francis K Mason
Graham White
J Richard Smith Eddie J Creek in collaboration

Last edited:
For WWII I think David Glantz does a good job covering the most important European theater of operations.

For WWI Terence Zuber has no equal. His accounts of the fighting in Belgium during August 1914 rely mostly on historical Germany army documents and read like a military after action report. Some readability is lost to achieve this level of historical accuracy but to me that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Steven Ambrose
Carlos D'Este
Rick Atkinson

These are three of my favorites, never heard them verified as to their accuracy, but I've really enjoyed everything I've read by them so far.

Depends on what area of ww2 ur interested in.
Eastern front? Zetterling,Mawdsley,Ziemke,Hayward.
Pacific War? Toland ,Spector,Evans Peattie,Parshall Tully
Economics? Tooze,Harisson
etc,etc,etc

Samuel Eliot Morison was highly regarded, especially for his 15-volume History of United States Naval Operations in World War II series. Gordon W. Prange was also highly regarded, especially for his Pearl Harbor (At Dawn We Slept) and Midway (Miracle at Midway) books, and his research into the Pearl Harbor attack.

As far as researchers go, Erich Brown and Bill Marshall go far and beyond the call to get the accuracy spot on...

I appreciate that Dan.. sure Erich does also.

I have found that Kent Miller does a fine job considering the scope of the Fighter Units and Pilots of the 8th AF, like Freeman he has made some mistakes, but he does the detail as well as anybody. Only Frank Olynyk has a better handle on USN, USMC, USAAF and USAF Victory Credits. Shores for RAF/Commonwealth - hands down

I think Toliver did a fine job on several of his works and was the first American the former Luftwaffe Aces trusted to tell their stories... Ditto Trev Constable for Brit representation for the LW.

Caldwell, Prien, Lorant, Price

Ethell and Fry and Birdsall come to mind after the above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back