Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CC -I wil try to lok up about the German planned ivasion of England, and maybe some others can as well and this topic can come back to its roots.
B-24 is a bit better to look at and the art o the nose makes up for the Lberator's looks! :)

Like the Dragon and his Tail, hmm?
I think the most important battle would have been the Battle of Britain. At one stage during the Blitz, a single bomber went off course, dropping its bombs on civillian areas instead of the industrial area. Because of this, Curchill ordered bomb strikes on germany, freeing up fighter command and giving those pilots a chance to rest. If those pilots hadn't got a chance to rest, then morale amungst (don't know how to spell it) the pilots would have dropped abysmally.
If it wasn't for that single bomber... :shock:

What I find most intrguing about the BoB, was that on BoB day, a Dornier Do-17 detatched from its group and set off for buckingham palace. A Hurricane pilot noticed this, and set off in pursuit. He went to fire, but he was out of ammo. So he pulled around and used the wing of his Hurricane to chop the tail section of the Dornier off. The Dornier crew crashed to their doom, but the Hurricane pilot (I forget his name...Ray Charles or something like that I think) managed to bail out and survived thorough the war. He lives to this day, and recently they tried to locate the place where his Hurricane crashed. They cornered off a street in London and dug a huge hole, and they managed to recover the complete engine and lots of other small pieces, once of which included the stick and control panel.

I heared something like thet, but i heard he smashed his plane in to the Dornier.

Attachments

• iaf_202.gif
    iaf_202.gif
    109.8 KB · Views: 597
AS much as I like the B-24 Lanc it was only a bit more good looking then the Lanc and the Halifax. Yes the Nose art was just icing on the cake and made the war a little more tollerable.

As for the Collins Foudations B-24 "Dragon and It's Tail" is a nice paint job, but I like the ones from the war, and I have not asked about it. So.

Question any of you know of a B-24 that flew over 100 missions? ;)

There were at least 2 B-24s to fly 100+ missions in the 380th Bomb Group, 42-72799 "Male Call" and 42-100209 "Rough Knight". The 380th was part of the 5th AF in the Pacific. Not sure about European theater B-24s. Also check 42-40323 "Frenisi" <free and easy> from the 307th BG (Also Pacific). That one flew 104 missions before returning to the US for a war bond drive. It is rumored that Frenisi never lost a member of her crew.

I don't know how you can say THIS nose looks good. UGH! It looks like an aberration. But the nose art is fantastic, I will give you that. It looked much better before they put those turrets in the nose.

Attachments

• b-24nose.jpg
    b-24nose.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 554
  • b-24nose2.jpg
    b-24nose2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 557
evangilder said:
I don't know how you can say THIS nose looks good. UGH! It looks like an aberration. But the nose art is fantastic, I will give you that. It looked much better before they put those turrets in the nose.

I'm gonna want that art painted on my car!

:lol:

In a discreet way, of course...

Can't make my future E-Type or 911 ugly...

;)

Theres no need to make the 911 ugly, it already is ;)

Ah the E-Type... *drool* Youre the first yank I know that doesnt call it the "XKE" which is actually its proper name ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back