The Office Christmas Tree

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
Its time for the office Christmas Tree to be put up.
PCness has gained a live of its own in 2011 and now the simple Christmas tree is the target...

1) Is it PC to have a 'Christmas Fairy' on top of the tree?
2) Is it sensitive to non Christians to even put up a Christmas tree?
3) Is it ecologically responsible to grow and then chop down fir trees just for Christmas?

The list is endless...

Christmas used to be fun, now its....well, typical of so many things in 2011.

Is this the same where you work?

John

Whats a Christmas tree?

We have a Holiday Fern.

Very good, that made me laugh !

Perhaps we should have a holiday tree?

It seems that EVERYTHING we do offends someone somewhere these days.

So much for the Christmas spirit eh.

John

Agreed. I usually tell people who give me the "lets not offend anyone and everybody say 'Happy Holidays' or call it a 'Holiday Tree'" that making me change my whole pattern of speech and thought just because someone else doesn't want to call it that offends me. So I'll call it a "Christmas Tree" and say "Merry Christmas". They can call it "Bob" and say "F!! Off" if that's what makes them happy. But I'm not about to go out of my way to be non-offensive to someone when they're not willing to go out of their way and be non-offensive to me. Especially when its only for one month out of twelve. So sod off.

Oh, and by the way...Merry Christmas!

Agreed. I usually tell people who give me the "lets not offend anyone and everybody say 'Happy Holidays' or call it a 'Holiday Tree'" that making me change my whole pattern of speech and thought just because someone else doesn't want to call it that offends me. So I'll call it a "Christmas Tree" and say "Merry Christmas". They can call it "Bob" and say "F!! Off" if that's what makes them happy. But I'm not about to go out of my way to be non-offensive to someone when they're not willing to go out of their way and be non-offensive to me. Especially when its only for one month out of twelve. So sod off.

Oh, and by the way...Merry Christmas!

We have so many 'not to be offended' people that I lose track of who can be treated 'normally'.
If, indeed, anyone can be in 2011 Britain.
When I hear the kids sing 'the farmer has a partner' instead of the traditional nursery rhyme words I start to wonder what the **** is going on.
We had a TV programme here called 'Life on Mars' that went back to happier days..for me at least.:shock:

Is saying 'Merry Christmas' offensive to a recovering alcoholic?....

The list goes on :lol:

John

from me to all of you:
Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,
a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit)

from me to all of you:
Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,
a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit)

:lol:

An update.
Due to intense disagreement the Christmas Tree is no more...
All because someone suggested the 'fairy' should be a pre op transvestite.
I despair
John

Geez. Just put a frikkin star up there, nobody gets bent outta shape over stars. Unless it happens to end up shoved up {{censored}}. Probably deservedly so.

Being a non-christian (I'm Jewish), I don't find trees, stars, angles or fairies, tinsel, candy canes Santa Claus or any other Christmas item offensive. I laugh my azz off when people call the tree a "holiday tree". Jeez Louise, call it what it is, a Christmas tree, for crying out loud. Most people should be tolerant enough to understand that it is an important holiday for Christians, albeit a bit over commercialized (a bit). And if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I wish the same for them. We have Hanukkah, which, by the way, isn't in the top 5 Jewish holidays.

And for the record, I do hang lights on my house this time of year. They are white and blue, but the box did say "Christmas lights" ;) When the other Jews in the neighborhood look at me funny for hanging lights, I always say "Hey, Hanukkah is the festival of lights, right?"

So put up the tree, hang the lights on it and enjoy. You're not offending me.

from me to all of you:

Additionally,

For those who live upsidedown – substitute "summer solstice."

Australia.gif

I so enjoyed my son's years at a private Catholic School that my Wife teaches at.The Christmas Play was a real Christmas play and songs sung with vibrance it would make your eyes well.Then they did two other plays usually and the one at the end of the school year usually was a Patriotic play and one year it was paticularly good and swelled your heart with pride.Some of the best money I think I have ever spent and those plays made one understand why you opted out of the public foray of schooling at least for awhile.If one can get away from the gubernment the PC crap generally goes to the wayside.

Way to go Eric!

I'm Christian but my pre-wife is Jewish. Every year we have a Christmas tree decorated in blue and silver mostly along with a manorah which we light a candle for the seven nights AND a manger diorama. We celebrate both holidays though sometimes Hanukkah has come a week or two before Christmas it gets dicey.

Well for us Upside Down.....

The local Roasted Chicken store, who is special ordering turkeys, asked me what Americans do for Christmas in July?????? I had to inform her December is Not summer in the U.S. !!!!!!!!!!!! It's thought a 12 pound turkey is a Big one here. "who wants to eat leftovers for a week"? she asked............

In order to get the Real Christmas spirit here in Oz, there is a Christmas in July which is Winter here, celebration?!

Well for us Upside Down.....

The local Roasted Chicken store, who is special ordering turkeys, asked me what Americans do for Christmas in July?????? I had to inform her December is Not summer in the U.S. !!!!!!!!!!!! It's thought a 12 pound turkey is a Big one here. "who wants to eat leftovers for a week"? she asked............

In order to get the Real Christmas spirit here in Oz, there is a Christmas in July which is Winter here, celebration?!

BTW, nice CBish tree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back