The real face of NAZI Germany, a personal note

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
I hope you guys all read what Joe posted here. If not, please do so now. I would like to add a personal note.

Last year, my wife and I adopted a small 6 year old boy called Benny. Sadly he will never sit at our diner table, nor will we ever tug him in his bed at night. Actually he died many years before we were born.

Benny lived next to my wife's grandparents in a little village in Drenthe. In all his life, he never experienced what it was to live without fear. He loved to visit his neighbors. If someone asked who he was, he always answered he was 'Benny Luth', their nephew, just to hide that his real name was Benjamin Denneboom, a son of the Jewish neighbors.
On one faithful morning, Benny had the day of his life. There was a bus waiting in front of his house and he was about to board it. Benny had never been in a motorized vehicle in all of his short life en now he was allowed to get a ride on the bus, a little happy adventure in a world full of fear. The neighbors saw him get on the bus together with all of his family. But soon reality set in. The bus delivered the family at camp Westerbork, where life was not much fun. Luckily within a week there was another great adventure. Benny was allowed to get on a train and make a great trip. He definitely never experienced that.
We don't know exactly what happened then. Benny might have starved on the train, or maybe he suffocated in the over-crowded train wagon or his little body was crushed under the pressure of too many human bodies. It's also possible that he survived the train and went with his family to the famous 'showers'. All we know is that his death along with that of his mom and siblings was registered on the day of arrival in Auswitz. His dad apparently lived on for a while, while his strength was used up for what ever goal his hosts saw fit. Then after much suffering he joined the rest of the family at wherever innocent people go who die an unfair and pointless death.

60 years later, Grandpa Luth would still fondly speak of little Benny who, for a short time pretended to be part of the family in a failed attempt to safe his life. Grandma would shed a tear over the cheerful little boy she once knew and would ask what it was all for.

Our 'adoption' is not an adoption as usual. Our adoption means that there is enough money to get Benny his own little spot on the Holocaust memorial, soon to be revealed in Amsterdam, so Benny will not be forgotten. It's all we can do for a small 6 year old who probably never understood what happened.

This last week saw someone on the forum post something what can be considered an attempt to diminish the evil done by NAZIs during WW2. Then another member accused the forum team of willingly turning a blind eye. I hope I make it clear here what this means to me and the team. This is a WW2 forum. There is no problem in the admiration of the achievements of the technicians or soldiers from any side in battle. But I speak for all the team that we will never tolerate admiration for, nor downplay of the crimes against humanity. I hope, with all your enthusiasm about history, your will also keep in mind this side of WW2.

Last edited:
Well said Marcel. Thank you very much for this thoughtful post.

I admire what you and your family did with this adoption? Is there a link where others maybe able to do the same?
Thanks Chris. There are probably initiatives in other countries as well, but this is what we participated in. Holocaust Namenmonument Nederland
I think there is a link for German and English as well.

While my father (as did one of my uncles) served in the Pacific, and my two uncles who served in the ETO were not ground forces (one was USAAF ground crew, the other a copilot with the Carpetbaggers), they all knew US Army veterans who had personally seen nazi death camps, some even having been involved in either their liberation or at least seen the carnage. Alas, the witnesses to these crimes are all elderly, as anyone who was an adult in 1945 is no younger than 93.

While there are people who wish to paint the Allies with the same brush of brutality as the nazis, do recall that there were far fewer civilian deaths in all the axis countries combined than in Poland, alone.

Last edited:
Marcel,

Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking post, and for your contribution to maintaining the collective memory.

I'd like to add another thought for forum members to ponder. I live in Germany, about 2 hrs drive from the POW camp where my Mum's cousin (whose family lived literally a street away) was starved to death. He was captured at Den Bosch in Holland in October 1944 and was part of the Long March of Allied POWs in the incredibly cold conditions of January-March 1945.

I have other relatives, again cousins who lived across the street from my family, who are buried in First World War graves near Ypres and Warneton, Belgium. One of those relatives enlisted as a private (he was the son of a coal miner) but was ultimately commissioned from the ranks. He was killed by a German trench raid on British positions in September 1917 trying to warn a neighbouring officer of the threat (that officer had only been in the line 48 hours). I can't help but wonder what achievements my cousin might have attained had he not been killed.

Living in Stuttgart, I've walked up the Birkenkopf a number of times. While the views are breathtaking, the knowledge that I'm standing on over 1.5 million cubic metres of rubble caused by Allied bombing raids during WW2 is awe-inspiring. At the top of the hill are recognizable pieces that once belonged to civilians' homes, complete with door hinges, house numbers, and ornamental carvings. The Birkenkopf makes me ponder the young German lives impacted by the Allied bombing, children who had no choice over their national leaders and no say in the decisions they made....and I weep.

What's the point of this rambling? Living in Germany, I've had to come to terms with how I feel about the German people and about the destruction the Allies wrought upon Germany. The conclusion I've reached is that the ways our forefathers treated each other was between them, and was of that era. The way I treat my neighbours today is between us, and is relevant now. Past horrors should be remembered but we shouldn't let them affect the relationships we strive to build today. Despite appearances to the contrary, we humans have more that unites than divides us.

The best thing we can do to overcome past evils is to show, each and every day, that we won't let them taint our actions. In so doing, we just might be able to build a better future for those who come after us.

Buffnutt, I am originally from Stuttgart. My family is still there. I try and visit them often. I have walked up the Birkenkopf many times. We affectionately call it Rubble Hill.

I find it a fitting memorial, and a reminder of the horrors of that war.

These are some pics I took at the top.

2DB646B0-0065-4FCA-9B4B-052859441C34.jpeg
9770E553-0BAA-45B4-AA7F-8279D4428CA5.jpeg
674DE169-002C-41B5-B4D5-7CA2BB7E2BD1.jpeg
F21C936E-BF19-456C-BDAB-2288B68A59EC.jpeg
12BAC3E5-365E-4698-B9CE-3A8ABDBD3EBE.jpeg
0FF38AD9-9B45-4619-BD0A-862876B53678.jpeg

Sorry...this thread has really got me thinking. Our last pre-COVID holiday was to visit Den Bosch for the 75th anniversary of its liberation. I went to see the place where my cousin was captured.

While we were in the vicinity we visited Arnhem. At the site of the former British headquarters is this memorial to the local people, placed by the veterans on the 50th anniversary of the battle:
]
IMG_20191025_111641.jpg

In case the image is hard for people to read, here's a transliteration:

To the People of Gelderland

50 years ago British and Polish Airborne soldiers fought here against overwhelming odds to open a way to Germany and bring the war to an early end. Instead we brought death and destruction for which you have never blamed us.

This stone marks our admiration for your great courage, remembering especially the women who tended our wounded. In the long winter that followed, your families risked death by hiding Allied soldiers and airmen, while members of the Resistance helped many to safety.

You took us then into your homes as fugitives and friends, we took you forever into our hearts. This strong bond will continue long after we are all gone.

In case anyone's in doubt...war SUCKS!!!

Well, I have nothing to say, especially to Marcel Marcel about what he and his wife had done! I've read over 10 times, and still my jaw is dropped about what you have done!

Sadly this story is not yet finished! and it won't!!! yes, it continues in other forms, in other places!!!

buffnut453 buffnut453 :

War has nothing to do with this, or any other genocides, throughout History! but POLITICS and RELIGION do! Just remember what happened under the name of Religion in middle ages! How many people were killed, Directly or Indirectly!!!

History repeats itself!!! yes, it continues in other places!!!

Hi Artesh, thanks for the kind words. Definitely, these things still happen in one form or the other. History is there to learn from, but it seems that humanity is not capable of learning. Reason the more to publish stories like these, so that people remember.
That's why we did what we did. We don't need a pat on the back for that, we can afford it. But we take the adoption very seriously and will tell Benny's story to whoever wants to listen in the hope that it will make the world a little better.

Last edited:
It is vital to remember Benny and to remember what happened, because of what the Nazis were trying to do, not only to get rid of Benny and his family, but everything about his people, their history and culture. We have experience of this in North East England and we have the memorials too. Which is why I cannot abide any discussion of "culture" in the debate, especially the Frauenkirche in Dresden. Please allow me to explain.

When Unesco started awarding world heritage status to sites of historical importance, the first two in UK were Stonehenge and Durham Cathedral and Castle.
Most will have seen Stonehenge, it is a strange place to visit, I was fortunate to visit it years before it was all cordoned off to create a visitor experience, and tramped around it on a foul February day touching the stones and discussing the place with the custodian.

Durham Cathedral and its castle is different. It is second only to Prague in its architecture of the period, and the Cathedral although modified over the years is still the finest example of Norman Romance architecture there is (you cant say "in the world" because it is all in Northern Europe). Inside and outside it leaves an impression, even the late Prince Philip said it was the most impressive monument he had seen in his life and few people have seen more. But it was built by complete tyrants. While they were building this wonder of architecture they were also massacring the whole population of Northern England in an event called "The Harrying of the North" this resulted in between 75% and 90% of the population of the whole region dying. The site contains the remains of the most venerated saints of the Ionian (later known as Celtic) tradition. It was a religious and military statement to the North of England. We own you, we own your land, we own your religion and your saints, we own your past and your present and the future. Having starved most of the population to death they declared much of the region for hunting, and killing wild game for food was punishable by death. So the people were supposed to starve to death surrounded by Bambi who belonged to the king. This is the origin of the "outlaw" legends, but it wasnt quite as Errol Flynn portrayed it in the movies.

I cannot say the British would have traded every historical monument to save Benny because that deal wasnt on the table. I can say that there was no thought that any loss of a monument or work of art played any part in British thinking. Unless we beat Hitler no one could breathe for 1000 years, he would have eradicated everything from the past to glorify himself and the people like Benny would have no record as the people killed in the Harrying have no record.
Below some pictures of the place, at its height both a place of worship and impregnable citadel. After the Norman invasion it took 149 years for the nobles to get Magna Carta signed and 725 years before the 1st amendment of the US constitution.

1621808152020.png

At its height the fortifications reached to the bottom of the picture.

1621808323338.png

Beautiful, but not worth a few hundred years of slavery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back