The Spitfire and Middle Earth

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

silence

Senior Airman
Nov 20, 2012
Yuba City, California
So I was just watching The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and it suddenly hit me that on several occasions in Tolkein's books there are points when hope seems lost and suddenly the eagles come out of nowhere and save the day.

1. in The Hobbit at the battle of the Five Armies, just when the Goblin forces are about to overwhelm the Elves, Men, and Dwarves;
2. in The Two Towers, when Gandalf is trapped on top of Saruman's tower;
3. in Return of the King at the battle before the black gate they swoop in to challenge the flying Ringwraiths'
4. in Return they rescue Frodo and Sam from the lava flow at Mt Doom (though IIRC this was not in the books)

Its been theorized that themes in the books relate back to Tolkein's WWI experiences, but in thinking about how the eagles repeatedly saved hopeless situations, its like they represent the myth of the Spitfire as saving Britain from the Dark Lord Hitler, and eventually help ensure the downfall of the encroaching Shadow.

And, just for fun, we have the Eagle Squadrons in the RAF flying Spitfires in the later parts of their service.

Kind of a fun thought, It think.

So I was just watching The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and it suddenly hit me that on several occasions in Tolkein's books there are points when hope seems lost and suddenly the eagles come out of nowhere and save the day.

1. in The Hobbit at the battle of the Five Armies, just when the Goblin forces are about to overwhelm the Elves, Men, and Dwarves;
2. in The Two Towers, when Gandalf is trapped on top of Saruman's tower;
3. in Return of the King at the battle before the black gate they swoop in to challenge the flying Ringwraiths'
4. in Return they rescue Frodo and Sam from the lava flow at Mt Doom (though IIRC this was not in the books)

Its been theorized that themes in the books relate back to Tolkein's WWI experiences, but in thinking about how the eagles repeatedly saved hopeless situations, its like they represent the myth of the Spitfire as saving Britain from the Dark Lord Hitler, and eventually help ensure the downfall of the encroaching Shadow.

And, just for fun, we have the Eagle Squadrons in the RAF flying Spitfires in the later parts of their service.

Kind of a fun thought, It think.

The other legend that appeals to me is the one about King Arthur and his Knights who are sleeping under a hill ready to ride out and save England at her time of greatest need.
Cheshire Magazine
The Spitfire became a potent symbol of all that was best about Britain and that endures to this day. No other aircraft has captured the British heart like the wonderful Spitfire.
Cheers
John

You forgot one - in the "Hobbit" when the eagles save Bilbo and company from the other side of the Mountain or Mirkwood I believe.

And how can you not miss the allegory??? Eagles = United States! :):):)

Heh heh - thanks for incident #5.

And I did catch the eagle squadron - ref the last line in my original post!! (Too bad the Eagle Squadrons never got the Mk. IX, my fav Spit)

You forgot one - in the "Hobbit" when the eagles save Bilbo and company from the other side of the Mountain or Mirkwood I believe.

And how can you not miss the allegory??? Eagles = United States! :):):)

I missed that one, getting carried away with imagining the Spitfire to be the 20th Century King Arthur....:knight:
Yep, you boys have a way of saving our ass, military and economically.
Mind you children do look after their mother don't they.:love4:

The biggest irony for me is that having freed the world, and kept the peace since both of our countries are in trouble....

John

I live near one of the supposed "Middle Earths" and SWMBO did the P.R. for one of the supposed twin towers,Perrot's Folly.

This is also not far from where most Spitfires were produced at castle Bromwich.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back