Thought you guys might dig this, original James Dietz Stuka/Do17 paintings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thought you chaps might enjoy seeing these two possibly unpublished Dietz paintings.

In the late 1970's I was given two painting by Mr. Dietz who was an
art director at the time at a building on Wilshire Blvd., here in Los
Angeles where I worked across the street a reprographics company which serviced all the art agencies in Hollywood.

At the time he'd gotten complaints from people in an adjoining building looking into
his window office and being upset over the Luftwaffe Stuka pilot. So one day
while picking up some film work for the reprographic department he pulled them
off the wall from which they where just pinned there and said, "Hey kid here you go,
you like planes right?" and he handed them to me which at the time I was eternally
grateful and humbled.

I've had them now since 1977. All the splatters and damage were as Dietz gave
them to me.

This one is just epic and I saw it painted over a course of several days by Dietz between his other art duties. I've never seen anyone lay down color like this before and watching him do it blew me away.
stuka01_thumbs.jpg

dornier_thumbs.jpg

I just got back a response from James Dietz, he remembers giving to me and told me the details how he randomly received a visit one day at his office from the Jewish Anti Defamation League because someone in an adjacent building could look into his office.

I wonder if these are worth anything?

Those are great paintings, well detailed.
I happen to have a book of paintings called "Aviation Art Of World War II" which includes several painting from James Dietz and other well renowned painters. It is very special to look at WWII paintings as they make you see the war, in this case the air war, as it really was: bright and colorful.

Great paintings!

As for the Jewish Anti Defamation League, don't like the view? Close your curtains!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back