Tip and run tactics against V1's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

norbert yeah

Airman
Apr 5, 2006
I'm looking for details on tipping V1's by using the wing tip of a pursuing fighter aircraft. I have seen reference to this somewhere and a picture of a Spitfire going through the motions, but can't find out when this first occurred, who was the first pilot to do so or who were the first units to perfect this tactic.

Can anyone help ?

Not with your questions, but it might be useful to point out that the fighter's wing did not make contact with the V1: the wing was placed just underneath the V1's, and the higher air-pressure on the upper surface of the wing was enough to force the V1's wing to rise, at which point it lost stability and crashed.

IIRC this was first used as a desperate improvisation after a pilot ran out of ammo. However, it had the benefit of being safer than firing at the V1 which could seriously damage the fighter if that one-ton warhead blew up just in front.

Safer for the pilot, anyway. Not so hot for anyone sitting peaceably at the V1's crash site...

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

I think it was an RAF spitfire pilot, but i cant remember his name. i'll get back to you.
he got a particular nickname as a result and i think he was used in some morale boosting (propaganda) material.

gallery_1_103_107263.jpg

I played a Beamont clip of him explaining his V1 tipping method (off of the Tempest website). EXACTLY where he described his method the sound stuttered a bit and I wasn't able to make out if there was wing-to-wing contact. I thought there might have been.:oops:

What Tony says makes more sense.

Ken

I've been reading some contradictory stories of uprated V1s, probably with the Argus As 044 which enabled the V1 to travel at a higher speed and/or carry a heavier load. Does anyone know if these were actually used?

Kris

The method of tipping the V1 as Tony described is correct. Shooting at a V1 was likey to 'toast' the pursuing fighter as it flew through the explosion. there are a few good photos on the net and in books of aircraft that were lucky to get back home with the fabric from their control surfaces burnt off. pilots could easily become a victim of their victim. Actual wingtip contact would also have damaged the fighter as their wings were only covered with thin alumininium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back