Top ten list of motorists peeves

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I didnt see any one post this, but Texting while driving. That really drives me up a wall
Agree totally BP
but to be fair, they do tend to thin themselves out - plenty of collision photos between texters and Mack trucks circulating on the net. Some quite gruesome I might add...

They could however, hit another car so yes, I think they safely take the top a$$hole slot

Agree totally BP
but to be fair, they do tend to thin themselves out - plenty of collision photos between texters and Mack trucks circulating on the net. Some quite gruesome I might add...

They could however, hit another car so yes, I think they safely take the top a$$hole slot

I agree 100% I have seen many pictures of accidents from people texting while driving. My dad is a firefighter and he sends me pictures of accidents from time to time.

But I do think they deserve the top a$$hole slot.

My favorite happened in rush hour traffic a couple years ago. Heading down the highway at about 40-45 mph and I see a delivery van swerving back an forth between lover lanes lines. Thought maybe he was drunk so go cell phone ready to call the cops. Pulled up next to him and see he is reading a paperback novel!!!!
I slowed down and got behind him and saw the main phone number for the delivery company he worked for. I called and asked the woman that answered if it is company policy for thier drivers to read books as the drive down the highway. She responded with a "What" so I repeated myself. Gave her the ID# on the truck, not sure what happened after that.

A couple things annoy me,left lane owners or those who think they are, I have no problem moving over when I see someone in my rear view mirror approaching, also not only merging into traffic but exiting as well, people start slowing down 10-15mph 75-100yrds before exiting, really screws up the flow of traffic. As a bike rider I find it increasingly dangerous as people are way too distracted with phones etc. And beware here in Colorado going thru an amber light is legal so you have to be careful, kinda like green light anticapator meets amber light accelerator and things go bang.

By now, I've seen so many people do really weird things in and around cars, so I can't really say that I'm surprised by what motorists do, and how they behave in the traffic.
The only thing that really do surprise me,though, is that the rate of people killed in the traffic every year isn't higher than it actually is.

My basic rules of thumb when I move out into the traffic, is:
Drive like everyone else is total eejits trying to get you, and you've got a fair chance of surviving the trip.

Don't bother getting pi**ed off at others in the traffic - some day you're the one who makes a mistake, and then you're the eejit everyone else is honking/yelling/swearing at.
So why bother getting pi**ed off? You can't do anything anyway at altering other people's driving, all you can do is make sure that you get safely from point A to point B.

And please do go on that Driver's Course - it'll improve your driving skills a lot, and it may save your a** from all those mad car drivers trying to get you and your motorcycle. :p :lol:
It sure has saved several of my friends and colleagues during their active driving years on the road.

By now, I've seen so many people do really weird things in and around cars, so I can't really say that I'm surprised by what motorists do, and how they behave in the traffic.
The only thing that really do surprise me,though, is that the rate of people killed in the traffic every year isn't higher than it actually is.

My basic rules of thumb when I move out into the traffic, is:
Drive like everyone else is total eejits trying to get you, and you've got a fair chance of surviving the trip.

Don't bother getting pi**ed off at others in the traffic - some day you're the one who makes a mistake, and then you're the eejit everyone else is honking/yelling/swearing at.
So why bother getting pi**ed off? You can't do anything anyway at altering other people's driving, all you can do is make sure that you get safely from point A to point B.

And please do go on that Driver's Course - it'll improve your driving skills a lot, and it may save your a** from all those mad car drivers trying to get you and your motorcycle. :p :lol:
It sure has saved several of my friends and colleagues during their active driving years on the road.

Or we should all just start running the eejits off the road, then maybe they will think twice the next time!!! I'm gonna need a BIGGER truck!!!

Last edited:
This thread sums up why I gave up Motorcycles. While I still get the urge to ride on nice sunny warm days, one accident which required 3 surgeries and too many close calls by in-attentive drivers made me decide it's not worth the pain and suffering.

Saw this earlier last year. This was 3 cars in a row that I passed.

Last car=Texting on cellphone
middle car= Reading a romance novel
First car= Eating a Cheese burger from Hardee's and texting with the other hand.

I kidd you not thats how they were one behind the other. Very scary!

As for riding courses I've taken both the standard and experienced course and if anything it tought me to try and anticapate what the cage driver will do. Last year I was riding in the middle lane of an avenue and this female just darts in from the left lane, no signals and just missed taking me out. At the light I pulled up next to her and "explained" what she did,totally clueless and then her boyfriend gets envolved and starts calling me out, just ridiculous. I try to avoid rush hour and major roads during the day and try to enjoy the mountain roads.

A couple things annoy me,left lane owners or those who think they are, I have no problem moving over when I see someone in my rear view mirror approaching, also not only merging into traffic but exiting as well, people start slowing down 10-15mph 75-100yrds before exiting, really screws up the flow of traffic. As a bike rider I find it increasingly dangerous as people are way too distracted with phones etc. And beware here in Colorado going thru an amber light is legal so you have to be careful, kinda like green light anticapator meets amber light accelerator and things go bang.

Here in NJ we call that "extended Green".

They forgot to add "People who drive Volvo's". I hate to get behind a Volvo. They are usually ten miles per hour
UNDER the speed limit, they're hogging the left [fast] lane. they will not give up the lane if you flash your lights at
them, and they are usually in a world [or a lane] of their own. I know a woman who drives a Volvo, and always has
her dog plopped in her lap. If she should have an accident, she would crush the dog with her body.

Charles

people who ride my bumper, pull out to pass me then slow down to turn right after pasing me

From the list ...
1. Tailgating, 66 per cent
2. Failure to indicate, 62 per cent
3. Dangerous overtaking. 57 per cent
4. Jumping traffic lights, 35 per cent
5. Middle-lane hogging, 34 per cent
6. Dangerous late-braking, 31 per cent
7. Hesitant driving, 31 per cent
8. Undertaking, 30 per cent
9. Fast-lane hogging, 25 per cent
10. Being slow away from traffic lights, 21 per cent.

c/o www.pistonheads.com

Of the above list, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 are dangerous, and 5, 7, 9, and 10 are just plain annoying.

However, of the above, I'm guilty of 1 (occasionally when a slow driver really annoys me), and 8 (caused by 5 and 9).

I understand that undertaking is permitted in the U.S. but was always illegal in the U.K. unless queuing in traffic, but in recent years has become increasingly common and accepted on motorways, due to the number of 'old ladies' who just sit and hog the middle and fast lanes. I wouldn't do it if a cop car was around though, just in case.

Last edited:
They forgot to add "People who drive Volvo's". I hate to get behind a Volvo. They are usually ten miles per hour
UNDER the speed limit, they're hogging the left [fast] lane. they will not give up the lane if you flash your lights at
them, and they are usually in a world [or a lane] of their own. I know a woman who drives a Volvo, and always has
her dog plopped in her lap. If she should have an accident, she would crush the dog with her body.

Charles
I agree Volvo owners are the worst drivers , I think theu buy the things because they are inept drivers and need all that Swedish Safety

In Colorado it's Subarus, get stuck behind one and you will realize that they are out to save the world by going 10mph under the limit on a no passing road, they will usually have a save the whales,save the tree's,save the ozone,save the Haitian's,rainbow,save the seals,PETA and baby on board stickers all over the back of their cars which probably is why they can't see thru their rear window.

Oh, there is plenty of material to work with in this list, and it's all pretty well known, but what has struck me lately is the current switch to LED and Xenon lights...

Now what dimwit decided that an array of 20+ ultra-bright LEDS was a good idea for a tail-light? :mad:

Try following a new car down a road at night:

a) Your night vision is completely shot because of the high level of continuous light in front of you
b) It's harder to overtake safely
c) It's harder to read the road and anticipate trouble
d) The brake lights are even brighter to overcome the initial high level of the tail-light, leading to near dazzling - again, not safe.
f) People will adapt (maybe) to ultra-bright lights and eventually start failing to notice vehicles 'normal' levels of lighting.

Our ancestors could hunt by starlight - they would laugh at how pathetic we are becoming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back