Triumph's Builds: Part 4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

triumph

Airman
Dec 20, 2009
S.E. London U.K.
Airfix 1/72 Savoia Marchetti Sm. 79 "Sparviero"
The SM 79 is my favourite Tri motor after the JU52. Not done in metal yet. So when I came across an Airfix kit I thought I would give it a try. Now I did have ago at a more adventurous colour scheme, that these planes are known to have, but I made a mess of it (I found I can't do random patches or swirls yet) and I nearly consigned the model to the bin.
Back to the computer for some ideas and I found this website....... Savoia Marchetti Sm. 79 "Sparviero" - Drawings Profiles
Hooray a scheme that was straight forward to do. This one based around S 79 - 278a Squadriglia, 132° Gruppo Aerosiluranti - Sicily 1942. So although it's rather bland compared to others, this was the scheme of the torpedo bombers participating in the many actions against the allied fleet in the Med in 42. So seeing that the model comes with a dirty great big torpedo slung underneath it…..I was well happy to go with it. Of course the codes are wrong, as I only have what came with the model but I can live with that.
Sm79_profiles_19.jpg
sm79torpedo.jpg

So saved from the bin. Here she is,
DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0015-1.jpg

DSCF0029-4.jpg

DSCF0032-4.jpg

DSCF0035-4.jpg

DSCF0041-2.jpg

DSCF0044-2.jpg

DSCF0048-2.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the Savoia Marchetti that's impressive. :(

Oh No!

It's the 1/72nd scale model of the control tower and runway at Duxford that takes the prize.:lol:

Flexibull

It's not the Savoia Marchetti that's impressive. :(

Oh No!

It's the 1/72nd scale model of the control tower and runway at Duxford that takes the prize.:lol:

Flexibull

So thats the Duxford tower ! I was scratching my head as to its where abouts.

He's only posted 10 times since december so we may never find out how he did the back ground.

Sorry ian
sorry guys
Aint been building any kits at the moment as I do it in my shead and its too bloody cold :)
This is how its done. I used my own photos that I took at Duxford Printed them out. Mount on cardboard and the pictures show you how it goes together. Same thing done with the control tower
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0005.jpg
DSCF0003-Copy.jpg

Finished pic after cropping
DSCF0003.jpg

This background as you can see is limitness so I can use any scale on it and it works Model is 1/32 Corgi diecast
and here a huge 1/18 bird with same background
DSCF0021-1.jpg

However the control tower works by printing it out at smaller size than poster size of this background. Took a little time to work out the size to print it so I got the scale right. Hope this helps All the best people
Peter

Last edited:
Great to see the traditional methods still being used! Have you tried back-projection, for 'low-light' or 'moody' shots (sunsets, dawn, storm clouds etc)? Some fantastic effects can be had, using the light from the projected image and a small key light to highlight desired areas.

Great stuff Peter. Thanks for telling us all your secrets, i'd like to do something on simular lines but having one of my Lanc's in the dark being lit' up with lights with a hanger in the back ground, this would have to be in black and white.

ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back