True Face of The Great War !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not surprising. War is war after all, no matter how we choose to look at it. The Great War was astoundingly brutal, being the first major war to see chemical agents, sub-machine guns, huge artillery (Big Bertha), intense aerial combat, etc., etc. Despite isolated incidents of chivalry, it was a meat grinder like any war.

That is why the tank was so amazing when used properly. It could achieve amounts of ground that would cost hundreds, even thousands, of men without it.

Nonskimmer said:
Not surprising. War is war after all, no matter how we choose to look at it. The Great War was astoundingly brutal, being the first major war to see chemical agents, sub-machine guns, huge artillery (Big Bertha), intense aerial combat, etc., etc. Despite isolated incidents of chivalry, it was a meat grinder like any war.

Agreed Skim its just that earlier conflicts IE before the Crimean US civil war where not recorded on film. but I dont suppose troops hacking each other up with swords, axes and spears was a pretty site either.

Yes, some of it has been. They still find the odd artillery shells and other explosives from the Great War too. It would be nice to visit the memorial there.

Attachments

• vimy_ridge_memorial_2_180.jpg
    vimy_ridge_memorial_2_180.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 681
  • vimy_ridge_memorial_1_888.jpg
    vimy_ridge_memorial_1_888.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 688
  • vimy_ridge_1_126.jpg
    vimy_ridge_1_126.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 696
Just out of Curiosity when the Canadians took Vimmy Ridge was that what ended the stalemate between the Triple Alliance and the Allies?

It was certainly a turning point. The ridge was of little strategic importance when viewing the big picture, but it got things moving again after a long period of virtually no movement, and it was the first Allied victory in over a year and the largest to that date on the Western Front. It certainly didn't help the German morale either. But the price in Canadian lives, as well as other Allied lives leading up to the victory, was dear too. See for yourself:

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/turner/ar_vimy.html

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/vimyridge.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimy_Ridge

To Canadians, the battle for Vimy Ridge means something. It was the first time that a Canadian force fought as a complete unit in an independent battle, and it was a major victory on the Western Front. It was perhaps this battle that truly identified us as Canadians for the first time in our history. To ourselves most of all.
Just as Newfoundlanders view the battle at Beaumont Hamel as a cornerstone in Newfoundland's history. Although it was a fiasco that nearly wiped out the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. (Newfoundland didn't become a part of Canada until 1949.)

Last ones for tonight!

Douglas.

Attachments

• soldier-106_158.jpg
    soldier-106_158.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 624
  • soldier-125_123.jpg
    soldier-125_123.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 621
  • soldier-117_376.jpg
    soldier-117_376.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 626
War is hell. It's kind of strange, but I am kind of numb to pictures like that. After things I saw during the "war on drugs" in Central and South America, nothing seems shocking anymore. The messed up thing is that I know they should shock me.

I am not keen on images like this although it is improtant everyone gets a little taster of what war at least looks like but of course the viewer is remote from them as they are images and not 4 feet in front of their faces
with the associated smells. I used to get upset if I thought too deeply on who the guys where and their families ect, nowdays if someone is killed at work the normal method of most of the staff for emotional defence is to turn it in to banter and make daft remarks which I dislike intensley and usually end up in rows over.(perhaps that is my method of handling it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back