Trumpeter 1/72 P-40B AVG 2nd Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andy70

Senior Airman
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Finally finished! Thanks for following the build in the start to finish section!

I wasn't terribly thrilled with the canopy, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with the fit and quality of this kit.

Any comments or crticisms welcome!

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Andy

Thanks guys. No, Tim, it is airbrushed. I masked it with "sticky tack" and masking tape to make the hard demarcation lines that my research said that these birds had. I tried to do a little post shading, which made the paint darker at the edge of the sections. I did hand paint the canopy, though. One of these days I'm going to tackle trying to mask and airbrush those things, too.

Thanks so much, guys! Bruce, the rigging is stretched sprue. I had to try several times to get such a thin piece. I took a piece of the streched sprue and super-glued it in the middle of the piece to the locator on the tail...

IMG_2377.jpg

then carefully streched it, and held it in a small puddle of super glue on each wing. After cutting off the excess sprue, I cut a very tiny piece of styrene and put it on top of the end of the sprue on each wing to simulate an attachment point.

IMG_2376.jpg

It took me two or three times of attempting this to get it right, and I still broke one of the pieces and had to redo the whole thing after that. After it was all set, I lightly brush painted it with Testors aluminum metallizer. The ariel between the tail and the top of the fuselage was done in a similar fashion, but was much easier.

Thanks again!!! :)

Nice job. Nice to see one from the Panda Bear squadron. Most builds are from Hell's Angels.
Ed

Thanks, Ed. I thought I'd try something out of the ordinary since there were so many markings available on the Sky decal sheet I bought. Besides, my family and I had just seen Kung Fu Panda 2 when I was about to decal it, so I was a little inspired by that. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back