Turbo-compound engine(s), NACA reports

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
NACA was investigating turbo-compound engines in mid/late-1940s, here are two reports involving, as it seems, the Allison V-1710 as core engine (although it is never declared as such in reports):
link1
link2

Interesting… The R3350 turbo-compounds that were in DC7s, and Lockheed Super Gs were probably the final design to extract just about all you can out of a reciprocating engine running on gasoline. Although that being said, I believe that current top fuel dragsters are getting almost 10,000 hp out of a pushrod, V8. However those engines last about 30 seconds and have to be torn down with new heads and pistons between runs. You can make anything very powerful if you intend it to run for only 30 seconds. The radial turbo compounds were very complex affairs with bevel gears and sprague clutches on all three turbine output shafts. They must have been bear to maintain. While the B29s had the R3350s in them, I don't believe they were turbo-compound. I think they had the usual GE turbochargers instead. Turbo-compounds really came along after the war. Does anyone know of any water-cooled versions? The schematic looked like a turbo-prop engine with the piston engine acting as a gas generator.

Interesting… The R3350 turbo-compounds that were in DC7s, and Lockheed Super Gs were probably the final design to extract just about all you can out of a reciprocating engine running on gasoline. Although that being said, I believe that current top fuel dragsters are getting almost 10,000 hp out of a pushrod, V8. However those engines last about 30 seconds and have to be torn down with new heads and pistons between runs. You can make anything very powerful if you intend it to run for only 30 seconds. The radial turbo compounds were very complex affairs with bevel gears and sprague clutches on all three turbine output shafts. They must have been bear to maintain. While the B29s had the R3350s in them, I don't believe they were turbo-compound. I think they had the usual GE turbochargers instead. Turbo-compounds really came along after the war. Does anyone know of any water-cooled versions? The schematic looked like a turbo-prop engine with the piston engine acting as a gas generator.
Allision V1710E22 Turbo Compound technology / XP-63H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back