Tuskegee P-51 colors (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bob3170

Airman
Dec 2, 2009
Hello all,

First Post

On the Tuskegee Airmen's P-51s, were the red markings and yellow theater bands gloss, flat or in between?
Aeromasters decal sheet instructions call for fs31136 and fs33538, which would be flat, whereas Accurate Miniatures P-51C kit calls for fs11136 and fs13538, which are gloss. Looking a built up reviews doesn't help either, most don't state if they used gloss or flat and some were satin clear coated.
I want to avoid having to clear coat the model since it is done in Alclad II.

Thanks

Attachments

• p51_tuskegee1_320.jpg
    p51_tuskegee1_320.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,524
  • c.gif
    c.gif
    335.7 KB · Views: 472
Here is a profile of P-51B/C. Looking at this the fin and rudder look matt.I had a quick look at a few pictures with the Tuskegee Mustangs in.The tails look matt as well. So it was matt paint.However , the question is where from the paint was taken. Was it a paint "captured" or found somewhere...?
I think the best solution can be use the satin colour on the fin and a mixture of satin and matt for the rudder.
The difference is because the rudder was covered with different material than the fin.Also the yellow one should be used in the same way.

Profile source - unknown.

Attachments

• P-51B Mustang Red Tail.jpg
    P-51B Mustang Red Tail.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 717
  • P-51B Mustang Red Tail_.jpg
    P-51B Mustang Red Tail_.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,428
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Believe me Bill, I did the Google search, but didn't come up with anything definitive. The Red Tail Project plane is obviously gloss, but it is a reproduction for airshows.

Wurger, I think you have the right idea, to go with a satin finish. I'm not too concerned with the exact color shades, I've painted the basic airframe with Alclad lacquer, therefore I'm going to continue with the lacquer and do the markings with decanted Krylon red and yellow with a touch of red to give it a very slight orange tint.

Masking looks like it is going to be fun.

Need to do a test panel with Alclad, just to see what effect, if any, the clear satin has.

Just a minor hijack
how do you pronounce that?

Is it Tuskee-ggee

or

Tusker-jee

I thought it was the latter until I saw some History Channel program

well then

Attachments

• 6a00d8341bfadb53ef011570758af6970b.jpg
    6a00d8341bfadb53ef011570758af6970b.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,997
  • print_P-51_Archer_tn.jpg