Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day for Muslim Holiday

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Is it me, or have we bent over backwards to accomodate Muslims? :confused:

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. — Workers at a Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Tennessee have opted to trade a paid Labor Day holiday for the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Fitr.

A recent 5-year contract approved by members of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union at the Shelbyville, Tenn., plant includes the change to accommodate Muslim workers.

"The negotiating committee made the holiday a top priority in contract talks," the union's Alabama and Mid-South Council Representative Randy Hadley said in a June statement. "And we were able to get management to commit to it."

The change, which does not affect the company's 118 other plants, exchanges Labor Day for the Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan. The new contract, negotiated last fall, also gives Muslim workers a prayer room.

"Eid al-Fitr is one of eight paid holidays for all Team Members covered by the contract, while Labor Day is not a paid holiday," Gary Mickelson, Tyson's media relations director, told the Shelbyville Times-Gazette.

The seven additional paid holidays are the employee's birthday, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, Mickelson said.

Poultry Protest Tyson officials said that approximately 250 of the plant's 1,200employees are Muslim Somalis. Many, the union said, entered the United States as political refugees — among them, Abdillahi Jama.

"This new contract is good because it allows me to work on the second shift and still pray when I need to," Jama said in a press release. "It's very important to us, and the Eid is one of our most sacred holidays. It shows how the union helps us."

News of the change has prompted some anger on local Web message boards, with some writings urging readers to contact the AFL-CIO and boycott Tyson products.

The union's national president, Stuart Appelbaum, said it was the union's job "to stand up to win respect for every worker's right to practice their faith."

Tyson officials said the contract was agreed to by 80 percent of the union's 1,000 members at the plant.

TO

250 Muslim employees trump the other 950. Noting like minority rules. If I worked in that plant I would be taking Labor day off anyway in protest, paid or not!!!!
Get used to it, there is more to come.

But, on the other hand, it's unconstitutional to have prayer in schools.

Just remember.... as long as there are tests, there will be prayer in schools !

Charles

Prayer in public schools has nothing to do with private business establishments.

Why cant this be handled like they do in other countries with muslim/christian religions?

The christians take off their religious holidays with the muslims working as usual.
The muslims take off their religious holidays with the christians working as usual.

Labor day should be a holiday for EVERYONE!

The jews cant be allowed to take off any days, because theyre all in management (hehehehehe).

I was thinking the exact same thing as Sys. Makes perfect sence. No reason they cannot do this in my opinion. Looks like I won't be eating a Tyson Turkey on Thanksgiving this year!

isnt the labour day a comunist celebration ?

Communist celebration? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in 1882 as the Central Labor Union (of New York City) sought to create "a day off for the working man".

Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894. All fifty states have made Labor Day a state holiday.

TO

I do not agree with this.

1. Labor Day should be a holliday for everyone. Who cares what religion you are.

2. Why do they deserve a prayer room. I am all for freedom of religion and I have no problem with them practicing their religion, but do they deserve a prayer room. I'll bet you the Christians do not have a prayer room. What about the Jews that work for the company? Are they lesser than the muslims.

**** this!

Foot washing receptacles, drivers license pictures of a hooded ...thing, multiple prayer breaks, ugh. But the big question is how did this ever pass the union. Your union at work.

"The negotiating committee made the holiday a top priority in contract talks," the union's Alabama and Mid-South Council Representative Randy Hadley said in a June statement. "And we were able to get management to commit to it."

Bull. This thing was buried so far under alternate-subordinate-clause-sub-paragraph-infinity that nobody noticed it until it was too late. This is just another form of terrorism....slow and methodical, without the dramatics of explosions and martyrs. Blow stuff up over there, to get everyone watching, while you slowly whittle away at the beams and pilings to undermine the support infrastructure. A bomb kills a few people. This way enslaves everyone. Sure, we respect your religion. But you have to respect ours too. This is the US. If you don't like us not bowing to your wishes, go back to your sand and camels. You have the freedom to do that, A-frikkin-rab. There are plenty of Muslims in this country who just want to be treated the same as everyone else. We'll keep them.

Man....this country's politicians/leaders need balls.

Prayer in public schools has nothing to do with private business establishments.

Why cant this be handled like they do in other countries with muslim/christian religions?

The christians take off their religious holidays with the muslims working as usual.
The muslims take off their religious holidays with the christians working as usual.

Labor day should be a holiday for EVERYONE!

The jews cant be allowed to take off any days, because theyre all in management (hehehehehe).

Makes sense Syscom. If they need a couple of days off for Ramadan or whatever fine. As long as the rest of the folks can take labor day off if they want.

Foot washing receptacles.. .

I have seen signs up in quite a few washrooms "Please do not wash your feet in the sink"

Nothing like walking into a washroom and seeing somebody perched on top of the sink...

I don't give a rip if someone washes their feet in the sink (if they don't make a friggin mess). What I do care about is if they install a sink that specifically says, "please do not wash your hands in sink".

They installed one in Detriot airport.

I don't give a rip if someone washes their feet in the sink (if they don't make a friggin mess). What I do care about is if they install a sink that specifically says, "please do not wash your hands in sink".

They installed one in Detriot airport.

All the same, it's kind of nasty if some Muslim Taxi driver has been working a 12 hour shift, and then wants to be takin' his shoes off park his butt on the sink to do it.

I think it would probably be better to have a prayer room, let 'em do whatever in private, it will help me keep my lunch down not having to listen to it.

Foot baths? Probably be easier to get 'em out of my hair anyways.

HOWEVER, I reserve the right to dip my *** in the foot bath if my religion dictates it... :shock: :shock: :twisted:

i don't have a problem trying to be accomodating. let the Jews have a room too, perhaps they can even find something for Christians. If it will cost big $$$ to put in a special bath though - they ought to pay for it.

What really concerns me far more is the Minnesota Muslim Taxi drivers refusing to take passengers with alcohol in their bags! WTF? Are they going to search my bag looking for booze? :mad:

USATODAY.com - Airport Check-in: Fare refusals in Minnesota

And they refuse to take anyone carrying pork. Can they refuse to take Jewish passengers? :mad:

And NO to seeing eye dogs in Muslim Taxi's.

Okay, where's the Civil Rights crowd now? That's frikkin discrimination, plain and simple. But they're "an oppressed minority", therefore its okay. My furry arse, its okay. Its still discrimination, just from a different direction.

I think everyone should suck back and reload if you read the item they are swapping labour day for the highest religious holiday in the Islamic calender I can't see what the big deal is . Isn't that one of the 4 freedoms that were exhaulted in WW2 by the US the freedom of worship , yes it irks me that i might not be granted the same rights in their lands but I also believe you guys are stronger and more tolerant then some mullah in Tehran and that is what many of you call a stength of the US . Freedom .
If you like i can take you to golf courses here that were built by thr Jewish folks of Buffalo because they were not allowed to golf on the Buffalo courses and it wasn't as long ago as you might think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back