U.S. Military to allow females in combat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
The stateside newspapers are bally-hooing the news that the Joint Chiefs of Staff and other military big-wigs are about to rescind the "no females in combat" rule.

I think it's bad news. Now, not only do we lose our sons in combat, but our daughters too.

I know other nations have used women in combat, even back in WW-II, but that doesn't mean the U.S. has to do it.

I believe, right now, the U.S has more forces in "troubled areas around the world" than any other nation. A lot of
people think the U.S. is the worlds police force.

This is suppose to open females to Special Forces, Seals, Rangers, Red and Green Berets and God knows what else.

Like I said, I think it's bad news.

Charles

Warning: Let's not let this get political or un-civil.

Personally, I don't think that women should be in harm's way.

The U.S. is not short on manpower and certainly not in a dire enough condition to warrant it.

I know they provide outstanding service in current roles and it should be left at that...

Just my 2 cents worth (adjusted for inflation) :)

With all - keep them away from the front line.

This is not condemning their abilities in any way, simply the thought of what would happen if they were taken prisoner...

I'm assuming women in combat means they will be allowed in the three combat MOSs they are currently barred from.....

Infantry
Armor
Artillery

If this happens, one thing for sure. If the Draft is ever re-instated, and I'm not saying that it will be, there will be a huge outcry from parents whose daughters will be assigned to a combat MOS.

And yes, going forward in the name of equality, women will be subject to Selective Service IMO.

For the record, though I don't have a problem with women pilots in combat (which is current policy), I don't want to see women in combat on the ground.

Pentagon announces decision to lift ban on women in combat roles | Fox News

Steve

US women are already in combat Zones, if I am not mistaken. But in non-front line roles?

They are in combat zones as pilots, and in combat support roles on the ground. None in the three combat MOSs, but I guess that's gonna change.

Steve

Women have been flying choppers in Afghanistan for quite awhile. Other females are in combat support roles (driving trucks, etc). My big concern is what will happen if/when a female is taken prisoner by the Taliban. They think all women are dirt under their feet, anyway. Would rape be added to the torture ?

Charles

As long as they don't change the requirements for entry into these fields, I don't have a problem. But I can see them making the physical requirements just a little easier, so they don't get compaints with too many females getting turned away.
I wonder how many will actually join combat arm fields, knowing in the current world situation that there is a good chance they will see combat ?

If they meet the standards required, I can't see any logical reason to prevent them from serving on the front line.

Its not about political correctness, its about a women's right to fight (and die) for her country.

The male of our species is predisposed to protect the female. Not being sexist, that's just the way it is. I am afraid that it would add more stress to an already crappy situation.
Not to mention the extra interpersonal problems that will arise. It would give a whole new meaning to the term "fox hole" though.

The male of our species is predisposed to protect the female. Not being sexist, that's just the way it is. I am afraid that it would add more stress to an already crappy situation.
Not to mention the extra interpersonal problems that will arise. It would give a whole new meaning to the term "fox hole" though.

And the female is predisposed to child-rearing?

Although a 'pre-disposition' will mean that it is true most of the time it won't be true every time.

Culture has a lot to say about gender roles, so I guess that is probably where we will differ.

According to ABC news they will be... but they have to pass very rigid tests... especially for Seals.

Charles
CNN said otherwise, so it seems as usual, the media doesn't know.

Got this from Fox..

"Some front-line military roles may open to women as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer."

Military leaders lift ban on women in combat roles | Fox News

Personally, I could care less if the combat MOS' are voluntary and those women who are applying for those position understand what they could be in for.

Jessica Lynch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The truth about Jessica | World news | The Guardian

I have mixed feeling about it. When I was in the USAF, we had a female SP (USAFs version of the Army, basically) who carried the M-60. There wasn't too many guys on that base that would dare tangle with her. There are some women that are tough as nails and others that are girly, don't want to break a nail. Having done some training with the Israelis may years ago, I can tell you that the women serving there are pretty badass.

Front line combat roles are tough, for anyone. The people that sign up for those jobs know the risks. It is a volunteer military. What concerns me is if there is a draft because of a future conflict, there is the risk of women getting drafted into those combat roles that don't want to be there. That would be very dangerous. Women have boobs, and to a young man, those are powerful. Distraction will get you killed in a combat zone.

According to ABC, the requirements to become a U.S. Navy Seal are:
Pass a stringent physical screening test that includes the following procedure: swim 500 yards in 12.5 minutes or less, followed by a 10-minute rest; do 42 push-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest; do 50 sit-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest; do six pull-ups, followed by a 10-minute rest; run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in less than 11.5 minutes.

IMHO, not too many men can do this, let alone a woman !!

Charles

According to ABC, the requirements to become a U.S. Navy Seal are:
Pass a stringent physical screening test that includes the following procedure: swim 500 yards in 12.5 minutes or less, followed by a 10-minute rest; do 42 push-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest; do 50 sit-ups in under two minutes, followed by a two-minute rest; do six pull-ups, followed by a 10-minute rest; run 1.5 miles in boots and long pants in less than 11.5 minutes.

IMHO, not too many men can do this, let alone a woman !!
Charles

And if a woman can't do this, she doesn't become a SEAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back