U.S. sends WWII female Nazi guard back to Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sequestering juries is a very rare event, usually reserved for hi profile homicide cases.

Actually most jurors take their duties quite seriously.

syscom3 said:
:lol:

Sadly, I have to agree with you. In my criminal justice class last term, my instructor (a homicide investigator for the OC DA office) did say he suspected some juries convicted defendents simply because they didnt like the guy, or figured he was guilty of something else, therefore convicted the person for an unkown crime. Many times, the seriousness of the charge becomes more important than the quality of the evidence.

The American justice system, because of the arbitrary nature of the British at the time of the Revolution, is heavily slanted towards protecting the innocent. It is very difficult to convict anyone, note O.J. Simpson. No justice system is perfect and errors are obviously made, but I think we tend to be too lenient. I personally think we should convict criminals with a 10 or 11 vote majority, not all 12. It is not a constitutional right to have a unanimous vote. Also the jury selection is flawed. It allows lawyers to hand select jurors so it can become just a matter of who select best. This allows for money to buy great lawyers who make good selections and knows how to play a jury, note O.J. Simpson.

My experience on jury duty was uplifting. It was a long murder trial that had previously had a hung jury. I was impressed by the seriousness each juror had and, while some were a bit hairbrained, were certainly dedicated to being fair and just. In spite of great incompetence on the side of the police deptartment, we convicted.

I think it was very wrong of her what she did, what many Nazis did during the war. Should be let off the hook because they have aged or have moved on too live normal lives? Not really, but I do not believe in Justice as a solution because in cases of mass murder, justice can often be revenge or even scapgoating...this old lady will not be trialed for her part during the Nazi Regime, no she will be trialed for the Nazi Regime, like many. I believe in a truth and reconciliation process. In which she is encouraged to tell the truth, the WHOLE truth knowing that she will not be trialed. what she narrates should be put in a report and shared with the Holocaust survivers and their families. Perhaps this will encourage more people to stand forward and we can finally get the whole truth about what was happening and who did what and most importantly why... :idea: ?

I figured they convicted just to get it over with they could get out of those damn motels and go home and back to there jobs.

I've served on two jury's once as foreman, I wont go into details obviously but exactly what you said happened in the UK

Most companies give payed leave for Jury service over here but it was the business owners that did as you surmised. They just wanted to find the defendants guilty (as it is easier to sway members to convict than acquit ) and get back to work.
I'm glad I did it even though one dragged on for a few weeks but when money is involved you watch how much justice for all counts behind the closed doors (the film Twelve Angry Men was about right)

I suppose she should be happy we are not putting her on little "Nuremberg" trial for her and other old retired SS guards, still guilty of war crimes. That would be odd wouldn't it? Yet if Joseph Mengle was still alive and was caught by the US, I think we would put him on trial.

For the others, they get deported. Better than the former for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back