UK forum members social event? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice one Paul. Any more for any more, roll up, roll up for the best show in town ......

Good idea.
It'll be nice to meat fellow forum members at events like Duxford. I have been meaning to go again for ages.
As for the Olympics, as long as you keep away from London, Weymouth, the London Airports and the channel ports you'll be fine.
Looking forward to a meet up
John

i'm not looking forward to the Olympics,the rowing event is just down the road and its expected Maidenhead/Slough will be gridlocked

I'm up for it and I dare say I could drag Tony along as well.

Sept is going to be a busy month for me taking my '51 to various musems for open days and such like, but as a suggestion, what about the Sept airshow at Duxford.

Meet up on the Friday arrivals / practice day and mooch about in a gang, practicing being loud and knowledgable, in readiness for the evening for a gallon or two of the falling down water, and finish off on the Saturday with airshow before dispersal.

Tony and I normaly do B&B a few miles from DX and there is also a Holiday Inn (Ithink its called that ?) a stones throw from the Airfield.

Sounds like a good idea Gary, but I think I'd have a problem with a large air show these days, due to crowds and access. I'm less mobile than I used to be, even two years ago, and would probably need a wheelchair for the 'show, which could be restrictive. But, let's not rule it out eh?
I was thinking more along the lines of a visit to somewhere like DX on a 'normal' day, when those who haven't been, especially any of our overseas friends, could have a good look around - and then partake of the good old British loopy juice!

As Larry the Cable Guy would say 'Git 'er done !!'

Still up for it what ever day of the week. And your idea of a non airshow day makes more sense as it'll be a lot quieter so there's more time to look around and take it all in.

And we can be even louder and even more knowledable :)...and no worries about a chair either, mate

Sounds good to me. Maybe have a 'practice' event ... yeah, practice, sounds good - this year sometime, then see what can be done for next year.

OK guys, as there seems to be some interest for a 'meeting' this year, I've been looking at a few possibilities.
There are a number of factors which need to be taken into account regarding what, where, when etc, and the main ones are as follows :-
1) Venue - what's there of interest, time needed to view, and accessibility?
2) Location - preferably relatively central for all attending, with good road/transport links.
3) Accommodation - nearby or relatively local hotel/Inn/pub accommodation (depending on size of group), at reasonable cost, with ease of access.
4) Dates - given a two-day event, including the over night stop and travel, preferably mid or late week days, at a time of probable reasonable weather.
With these in mind, I've looked at two possible Venues which could be at least partly covered in the useable time available during a one day visit, which would allow those attending to arrive, meet, view, and then disperse to the hotel/Inn/pub to clean-up, and re-convene for the evenings er ... 'activities'.
These two venues are Duxford, or The Midland Air Museum at Bagington, Coventry.
Personally, I would choose the second venue for this first event, mainly due to more varied and available accommodation choices nearby, and more chance of seeing most of the exhibits in the available time, but of course the choice would be by majority decision, by vote if necessary.
Now, I would propose sometime in September, or early October, as a suitable time, when the weather should hopefully (!) be at least reasonable, going off the pattern for the last five years or so, and probably mid-week, or late during the week, but probably not a weekend (not as busy at the venue in weekdays, in general).
If the chosen location was Duxford, then, if the visit is before the final air show, there's a good chance of seeing some activity on the field, with aircraft 'working up', testing, etc.
What I need to know now is, how many of you have a definite interest in attending, with an overnight stay following the museum visit, and are the suggested dates convenient?
Once I have this information, I am prepared to look at the various accommodation options, and report back, when a decision on type can be made firm. With definite final attendance numbers, I will then organise the event, endeavouring to obtain the best accommodation rates, and any 'Group Rates' available at the Museum, and draw-up an outline itinerary showing location(s), timings, directions etc etc., and forward this to each of you attending. I also have an idea for a free quiz or raffle or similar, for which I will denote the 'prize' and, if there is enough interest, I can very probably have 'Polo' shirts printed or embroidered with a suitable logo, at very reasonable rates.
Can I therefore ask you to let me have your thoughts, in this thread initially, and/or by PM if a definite 'Yes' at this time, so that I can 'get cracking' - after all, there is only a little over three months in which to arrange and organise this event.
Cheers,
Terry.

i'd definatly be interested Terry, with all this extra work i'm doing i'm racking up the leui time, its Aprils birthday first week of september but later on in the month might be ok or better yet early October as i'd have been payed again !!!

Same for me, normally around or shortly after the third week of the month. Just need to hear from more people. So far, the definites are You, me and Mick, who you met, with Evan a possible.

What we need to do, is just get everybody fired up about a gathering next summer...I mean, aside from you, Terry, Gary, Tony, Jan and all in the UK, there's a good deal of folks on the continent that could come up there too, like Maria, Wojtek, Marcel, Roman and so on...

With a little bit of work, you guys could turn this into a real shindig!

Great stuff Evan.
Dave, the ultimate aim is to get as many members as possible together, from wherever. It would be great if we had enough to block-book a complete hotel!

What we need to do, is just get everybody fired up about a gathering next summer...I mean, aside from you, Terry, Gary, Tony, Jan and all in the UK, there's a good deal of folks on the continent that could come up there too, like Maria, Wojtek, Marcel, Roman and so on...

With a little bit of work, you guys could turn this into a real shindig!

WE need to do the same here in the States for WWII Weekend. Hey, lets have a contest to see who gets the most members - WW2Aircraft East Coast Chapter or WW2Aircraft UK? :)

I think the winner would be the USA - many more regular contributing members ! But, we'll probably drink more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back