UK Government Funding for Speed Cameras Switched Off

Discussion in 'OFF-Topic / Misc.' started by Colin1, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Active Member

Engineer and overgrown schoolboy
  2. timshatz

timshatz Active Member

MGR
    Good news. One of the things that annoyed me about Govts.

They were talking about doing something similar over here in the state of Pa (another broke bunch of PC morons running the state into financial oblivion). One idea was to check the times when you went on the Toll Roads (on and off times) and if your average speed was over the speed limit, you should get a ticket.

I don't think it went anywhere. But if it did, I should be finding out in a week or so.

3. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

When I lived in Cyprus back in 2000 / 2003 they tried to introduce cameras at traffic lights. Set them up and then waited. Next morning, non of the cemra's worked or where missing completely !. So they re-installed them and the same thing happened.

Turned out that the local mafia (Russian mafia...pretty big on the Island) paid the local kids to errrrr...remove the problem...which they did with a promptness that defies teenagers in general !. Spookily enough, they havent re-installed any since.

Mind you, thats the Mediterranean mentality for you. When I first moved to the Island, diesel was 15 cents a litre. after a few months it went upto 18 cents a litre. This infuriated the locals to such an extent that all the farmers got on their tractors, drove up the motorway to Larnaca International airport....and promptly parked on the runway, effectively shutting down the airport. Fuel prices dropped fairly promptly but over the years has managed to creep up a cent at a time.

I miss that Island and the folks who live there. Utterly brillant !.

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    It's always p*ss*d me off that they call them 'Enforcement Cameras'. The real title should be 'Let's get as much revenue as we can to waste on more funding for more stuff to gather revenue cameras'.
    I guess this'll mean more tax rises though - 'they' have to get the cash in somehow!!

5. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
    I remember that. I think they were going to install them on Roosevelt Blvd.

They just installed "Red Light" cameras over in one town next to me. Run the red light, camera takes a picture and its sent to - Arizona! to develope then automatic ticket sent out. Spoke to the court clerk and almost 50% of calls to the office are about this now.

6. timshatz

timshatz Active Member

MGR
    I remember them being put on the Roosevelt Blvd. I heard the big change is the Yellow light. The time of a yellow drops by about a half. No point in getting the cameras if they can't make money.

50% of the calls are about the cameras? I can believe it. Somebody is going to blow them up or something. Annoying and smacks of big brother.

7. B-17engineer

B-17engineer Active Member

model builder
    :lol:

We got the 2nd traffic light in our town but the smart people who built it built it too low! 18 wheelers kept hitting it. Wasted money. They taking the light that took them 2 years to build and just starting over....

8. Loiner

Loiner Member

Project Manager, construction industry (elevators and escalators)
    I've no problem with them in the right places, such as our busy local high street which is lined with loads of shops and people which cars used to come racing down but now have slowed to 30mph.

What I have a problem with is cameras out to trick motorists, usually by not having any speed signs up so you don't know what the actual speed limit is. If it is important to go slow in these areas surely they can put speed signs up first before resorting to speed cameras.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Well-Known Member

Workin' for the man....
    Do you guys get the mobile speed camera's that we do? The ones that are set up on the side of the road in an unmarked van, car or 4WD?

10. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    we have mobile units but they are marked and have to put up warning signs as well

11. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    I just found out accidentally parts of Tennessee have this, we got a ticket in the mail for one of our vehicles that an employee was using on a business trip. I'm ok with the Red Light ones and all for setting them up in construction zones and school zones, but beyond those it seems a tad "unsporting" - lol

12. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    They're all over the place out here.

I thought this was an ironic twist to a recent development in Los Angeles.

Wheels