UK Government Funding for Speed Cameras Switched Off

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good news. One of the things that annoyed me about Govts.

They were talking about doing something similar over here in the state of Pa (another broke bunch of PC morons running the state into financial oblivion). One idea was to check the times when you went on the Toll Roads (on and off times) and if your average speed was over the speed limit, you should get a ticket.

I don't think it went anywhere. But if it did, I should be finding out in a week or so.

When I lived in Cyprus back in 2000 / 2003 they tried to introduce cameras at traffic lights. Set them up and then waited. Next morning, non of the cemra's worked or where missing completely !. So they re-installed them and the same thing happened.

Turned out that the local mafia (Russian mafia...pretty big on the Island) paid the local kids to errrrr...remove the problem...which they did with a promptness that defies teenagers in general !. Spookily enough, they havent re-installed any since.

Mind you, thats the Mediterranean mentality for you. When I first moved to the Island, diesel was 15 cents a litre. after a few months it went upto 18 cents a litre. This infuriated the locals to such an extent that all the farmers got on their tractors, drove up the motorway to Larnaca International airport....and promptly parked on the runway, effectively shutting down the airport. Fuel prices dropped fairly promptly but over the years has managed to creep up a cent at a time.

I miss that Island and the folks who live there. Utterly brillant !.

It's always p*ss*d me off that they call them 'Enforcement Cameras'. The real title should be 'Let's get as much revenue as we can to waste on more funding for more stuff to gather revenue cameras'.
I guess this'll mean more tax rises though - 'they' have to get the cash in somehow!!

Good news. One of the things that annoyed me about Govts.

They were talking about doing something similar over here in the state of Pa (another broke bunch of PC morons running the state into financial oblivion). One idea was to check the times when you went on the Toll Roads (on and off times) and if your average speed was over the speed limit, you should get a ticket.

I don't think it went anywhere. But if it did, I should be finding out in a week or so.

I remember that. I think they were going to install them on Roosevelt Blvd.

They just installed "Red Light" cameras over in one town next to me. Run the red light, camera takes a picture and its sent to - Arizona! to develope then automatic ticket sent out. Spoke to the court clerk and almost 50% of calls to the office are about this now.

I remember that. I think they were going to install them on Roosevelt Blvd.

They just installed "Red Light" cameras over in one town next to me. Run the red light, camera takes a picture and its sent to - Arizona! to develope then automatic ticket sent out. Spoke to the court clerk and almost 50% of calls to the office are about this now.

I remember them being put on the Roosevelt Blvd. I heard the big change is the Yellow light. The time of a yellow drops by about a half. No point in getting the cameras if they can't make money.

50% of the calls are about the cameras? I can believe it. Somebody is going to blow them up or something. Annoying and smacks of big brother.

:lol:

We got the 2nd traffic light in our town but the smart people who built it built it too low! 18 wheelers kept hitting it. Wasted money. They taking the light that took them 2 years to build and just starting over....

I've no problem with them in the right places, such as our busy local high street which is lined with loads of shops and people which cars used to come racing down but now have slowed to 30mph.

What I have a problem with is cameras out to trick motorists, usually by not having any speed signs up so you don't know what the actual speed limit is. If it is important to go slow in these areas surely they can put speed signs up first before resorting to speed cameras.

I just found out accidentally parts of Tennessee have this, we got a ticket in the mail for one of our vehicles that an employee was using on a business trip. I'm ok with the Red Light ones and all for setting them up in construction zones and school zones, but beyond those it seems a tad "unsporting" - lol

They're all over the place out here.

I thought this was an ironic twist to a recent development in Los Angeles.
Source- Red-light camera operator likely to win Arizona immigration boycott exemption

The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday is scheduled to consider — and appears likely to approve — an exception to the city's Arizona boycott allowing a 10-month extension of a multimillion-dollar agreement with red-light camera operator American Traffic Solutions, which is based Scottsdale.

The firm operates cameras at 32 city intersections that catch tens of thousands of red light violators each year. The council's Public Safety Committee says the exception is justified because red light cameras provide a "significant benefit to public safety."

The boycott exemption request comes as a new financial analysis of Los Angeles' red light camera program has found it is costing the city about $300,000 a year.

Last month, a lopsided majority of the council and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa suspended most travel and contracting with Arizona in protest of a new state law requiring police officers to determine the immigration status of people they lawfully stop and also suspect are in the country illegally. The law encourages racial profiling and violates constitutional rights, according to Los Angeles officials, a charge Arizona's governor and other backers of the law deny.

In addition to extending the current red light camera agreement, the council is scheduled to consider asking for bids on a new contract to operate and expand the photo enforcement program to more intersections starting next year.

That action could further entangle the two issues. In addition to the current vendor, a top competitor for the new contract — Redflex Traffic Systems — also has its headquarters in Arizona.

"Industrywide, they're two front-runners," noted Matthew Crawford, a senior administrative analyst in the city's budget office.

Councilman Ed Reyes, whose district stretches from Koreatown to Lincoln Heights, has been an outspoken supporter of the boycott. But he said he would support the onetime exemption to temporarily continue the contract and prevent a sudden shutdown of the traffic enforcement program. "I would not jeopardize Angelenos," he said.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back